Do I have a broken nose?

I have a nose trauma. It blead and some dark eyes. But i have no pain in may nose. Its looked crooked. It is just because of the swelling? But i dont have any difficulty in breathing and my nasal bone is intact. Do i have a broken nose?

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. The trauma you described may indicate that your nose is broken. The fact that you do not have difficulty breathing is a good sign. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Your swelling will probably subside by the time you meet, which will help the surgeon evaluate the extent of damage to your nose.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose trauma

Your described symptoms may be consistent with a nasal fracture, or possible a nasal cartilage bumped out of place.  Unchanged nasal breathing does not rule out trauma.  Please see an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor or a plastic surgeon for a detail assessment and exam, as a nasal fracture is typically a clinical diagnosis.  Good luck!

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Broken nose?

I recommend seeing a specialist for a physical exam. This is the only way to diagnose. Good luck.

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Nasal trauma

Denny, you may have a broken nose.  Bleeding and dark eyes are signs that the trauma was significant and may have caused a break in the nose.  Even a small, "greenstick" fracture of the nasal bones with minimal displacement can cause this.  At this time, while it is still swollen, it may be difficult to tell.  I would tell you to wait 3 or 4 days until the swelling goes down (so 3 or 4 days after your trauma) to go and be evaluated by a facial doctor who can better assess what is going on.  If you don't have trouble breathing, you may not need to do anything at all! Remember to keep your head elevated as this will help with swelling, and use arnica montana as well as ice packs to help with the bruising over the next couple days.  Hope you feel better. 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon