Breast augmentation incision. Is this an infection? (Photo)

Hello...i had breast augmentation 6 days ago..i am worried coz my right stitch in my armpit looks like its not healing it infection??my left stitch looks fine..hope to hear an answer..thank you

Incision Infection

Congratulations on your recent procedure! You don't seem to have any warning signs of infection but should you have any concerns it's best to seek an in-person follow up with your surgeon. Good luck and congratulations again!

Breast augmentation incision. Is this an infection?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery.  It is impossible to tell without an examination whether or not your developing infection on the right side.  The redness that she see could be just normal inflammation after surgery.  However this cannot be diagnosed from a photograph.  Please see our plastic surgeon for an examination and diagnosis and do not follow Internet advice

Erythematous following transaxillary breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I perform a fair number of transaxillary breast augmentations and your sutured incisions look normal to me. Sometimes incisions or suture lines can be prominent, raised or even a little red as the result of reaction to buried suture material or the early inflammatory phase of wound healing. If you are applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic, I would encourage you to stop as some patients can develop an allergic reaction to the ointment that looks like infection. When in doubt always check with your surgeon. Good luck.

Bruce K. Smith, MD

Incisions Healing?

Hello Tiffany, 

Incisions do heal differently, however they do seem to be healing fine. It is always best to contact your board certified plastic surgeon for a follow up if it gets worse. Congratulations on your procedure!

It does not look like an infection at this point. Follow up with your surgeon so that they may monitor your recovery.

Infection to incision after augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo.  Your scar appears to be healing fine.  Scars on breasts or under arms don't heal the same, many times.  Best is to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Is the incision infected?

Your photos don't reveal any clear signs of infection. Unfortunately, those signs may not be evident in a photograph. Your best option would be to contact your surgeon and be evaluated in person.

Henry Wells, MD
Lexington Plastic Surgeon

No infection

From your photograph, it appears to be satisfactorily healing to me. Best to be seen in person by your operating surgeon for a definitive answer. Congratulations on your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I would suggest calling your doctor's office and asked to be seen. Just looking at your photo, your incision looks fine, but an in person exam would be best to make sure.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Looks fine

Based on the pictures you have posted it does not appear to be infected and appears to be healing normally. However, in order to be 100% sure, you need to be seen by your plastic surgeon and be examined.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon