I'm 3 days post op; I think my breast is uneven. Is these common? (Photo)

Asymmetry

I believe you have too much asymmetry to be acceptable post surgery and you need to see you surgeon to assess this

Post-Op Asymmetry from Augmentation

Healing will go on for 2-3 months for the early period.  There may be some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences.   Sensation will be abnormal.  Scars will be changing. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined.

Always contact your plastic surgeon if you have concerns about post-operative infection, bleeding, swelling, fever, excessive bruising, or any new and sudden changes in the feeling or look of your implants, breasts or incisions. Asymmetry during healing is a common risk of surgery, but there is always the ability to visit your surgeon for evaluation of the healing process to make sure everything is going well.

Any of the following may be post-op difficulties, about which it is best to contact your surgeon directly:

·       Excessive bleeding (hematoma) and bruising

·       Reduced sensation of #nipple

·       Deflation/rupture

·       Capsular contracture

·       Wrinkling/rippling. Palpable and/or visible

·       Firmness, and distorted appearance

·       Interference with breast feeding

·       Mammogram interference

·       Cost for revision surgery if necessary

·       Calcium deposits in the tissue around the implant

·       Breast tissue atrophy/chest wall deformity

·       Hypertrophic scarring

·       Tissue loss

·       Infection requiring antibiotics or implant removal

3 Days Post Op

Yes it does unfortunately appear that you have some implant positioning/pocket issues. You have a lot of swelling and pressure distorting the implants but the right and possibly both appear to be too low already. I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon in person as soon as possible,

All the best 

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Your breasts do appear to be uneven

It is very hard to give you exact and specific information based upon the limited information you have provided and the one image shown here, but there are a couple of things I personally feel safe in concluding.  One is that at 3 days postop, given that the only dressings you appear to have are in your axillae (armpits), you probably had your implants placed via the transaxillary approach.  The second is that the contours of the breasts are definitely uneven.  You are correct.  While the standard answer at this point from most plastic surgeons is that it is very early - I agree, at 3 days it is - and that things will change over time - I agree, they will - I think I am also safe in saying that there are some things that can be concluded even at this early stage.  I personally think that you ladies who come here and ask these questions want us to tell you the truth as we see it, even if it's not what you necessarily want to hear or we like to tell you.  Thus, I am going to tell you that in my opinion your right breast implant appears to be WAY too low for your natural breast and chest dimensions and your nipple position, and it is quite likely that your left one is too, though not as low as the right.  I base this opinion on: 1) the obvious indention of the lower pole tissues from the residual tight inframammary fold which still persists from the natural breast, and 2) the obvious placement of the center of the implant(s) well below the nipple position on both sides, again, more so on the right than the left.  This can happen sometimes with breast augmentation, especially with the  transaxiallary approach, and especially if your lower breast tissues were naturally very tight and small before the surgery.  I'm sorry to tell you these things, but it's the way I honestly see it, and at least you will have something substantial upon which to base questions and a discussion with your surgeon about this.  In the end, it is your surgeon who knows exactly what was done in the operating room, and he or she is the one present to evaluate you in person right now.  Therefore, he or she will bet the one best equipped to advise you at this point.  However, I don't think it's fair that you should be led away from trusting your own instincts either, because in this case I think your instincts are correct.  Your breasts are uneven, and the implants are placed improperly.  Things will definitely change over time, and I do not suggest that you consider changing or revising anything right now, as the tissues need to heal and settle before you  attempt that.  I think there are some things that can be spotted even this early on that won't be expected to change over time, though, and implants that are placed too low from the beginning will remain too low; they certainly won't spontaneously rise higher.  Be sure that you communicate your concerns fully and openly with your surgeon, not that you are argumentative or accusatory, rather, you just need to have honest information and a plan for how to proceed from here.  Best of luck to you.

Uneven breasts

Your breasts definitely appear uneven 3 days after surgery.  The right implant appears to be too low and is what we call "bottoming out".  The left implant appears to have an incomplete dissection of the pocket.  You should address these concerns with the plastic surgeon who did your procedure.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to tell

Your skin is tight and the implants have not settled into position yet.  It takes three weeks to three months for implants to settle into position after breast augmentation.  I am sure your surgeon made sure they were even before you left the operating suite so they will be (near) symmetric when they settle down.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

3 days post breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photo's.  It is very early in your post op period to know, but I would follow up with your Plastic Surgeon as directed.

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photograph.

It is important to discuss you questions and concerns with your plastic surgeon seeing as they know your anatomy and surgery best. You are very early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven. Over the next 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement on the symmetry of your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

I'm 3 days post op; I think my breast is uneven. Is these common

There is certainly some difference from side to side. At this point it can be just swelling. I suggest you follow up with your surgeon and make sure you follow all of their instructions until that time./

Julio Garcia, MD