Can a woman like me be approved for a tummy tuck/body lift? (photos)

I am a healthy 35 year old, 5'5" maintaining 245lbs since I was 19, (got to 270 during 2 of my 6 pregnancies). I like my current size, but after six babies, by belly is completely stretched out and now hangs below my pubic area. My back has also developed unsightly rolls (from all the stretching?), that I am not happy with. Before having babies, I liked my shape. Would someone at my weight/BMI be a candidate for such a surgery or would I be required to lose a significant amount of weight first?

Multiple procedures, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. For safety reasons, to be a good candidate for those procedures at the same time, your labs and cardiovascular preoperative evaluation must be optimal. Therefore, you must be a healthy person, within an appropriate BMI and no history of diseases that increase the surgical / anesthetic risk degree. Finally, I recommend you a skilled certified plastic surgeon in body contouring surgery and experienced in cases like yours where the planned operating time is less than five hours. Respectfully, Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

TT and Weight

There are two aspects to the relationship between weight and body contouring. 1. Health and safety: it has been shown that as the weight of an individual increases so do the complications including wound healing, infection and blood clots. This does not mean that these procedures should not be done but that the patient needs to be aware of these increases.2. The results: if someone loses a substantial amount of weight before their body contouring procedure they will have a much better result aesthetically. This is in contrast to losing weight after the body contouring or not losing any weight at all.Since you like your size but just want to have a better shape I do not see a reason not to proceed with surgical body contouring. Your surgeon will need to tell you about the risks and the ways to minimize those risks.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and BMI

Thanks for your photos and question.  For best results from a tummy tuck, it's best to get your BMI down to approximately 30 or less (although this number is not set in's the point where the complication rate drops after these type of surgeries).  For you, that would mean a weight of around 180 lbs.  Not only will this lower the rate of complications, but you will look and feel better, as well!  Meet with a board-certified surgeon in your area, discuss your options, and set goals for yourself to put you on a track to get where you want to be.Hope this helps,

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Weight loss

Hello. For your own safety it is recommended that you lose weight to lower your BMI to below 30 prior to body contour surgery. Weight loss will also improve your results. 
Good luck

#TummyTuck #BodyLift

Hello PrincessDeFranco, Thank you for your question. For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. Look for a surgeon who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle Very best of luck to you,  Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss and Tummy Tuck

Based on your photos, a BMI of 30 or below is preferred to avoid the increased risk of complications during and after surgery. I advise my patients being at your ideal weight will give the best outcome. I would encourage you to start a proper diet and exercise routine to help get to your goal and then consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck to you.

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Can a woman like me be approved for a tummy tuck/body lift?

Thank you for sharing your photographs and questions.  I would recommend you follow a healthy diet and exercise regimen until you reach your desired goal weight. This weight should be one where you are comfortable at, and can maintain, as weight fluctuations will affect your long-term results.  Any weight loss before surgery will not only be in your best interest from a safety point of view, but also in obtaining the best cosmetic results.  If you wish to maximize your results perhaps incorporating a gym membership, nutritionalist, or trainer can add accountability for several weeks to months.  Hope this helps.

Healthy BMI

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a tummy tuck will go down significantly. You would need to be down to a healthy weight and BMI before having a cosmetic procedure to insure a safe outcome. Also, being at a stable weight is key to ensure you don't gain weight back after surgery. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Fancisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #mommymakeover #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon