Can I use a water pill?

I just had liposuction, I have a lot of swelling which I expected. However my drains were not draining as they should which left me with lots of fluid. I was able to get a lymphatic massage which made a big difference, however there is still lots of fluid. Surgery was on 6/30/16, can I use a water pill or will it eventually go away on its own?

Can I use a water pill?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I recommend you to talk about this with your board certified plastic surgeon, because depending on the procedure those pills are good or not for you. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Liposuction - how to reduce swelling

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Your liposuction swelling is normal and will go away on its own.
  • I am glad massage helped you - it often does not seem to do so!
  • I would not take any medicine for the swelling without your surgeon's knowledge and approval.
  • These pills may improve things for a day or two - but then the swelling returns.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Water pill

No, a water pill will not help remove the excess fluid from swelling, but only make your kidneys work harder. Massage is helpful and wearing your garments is a must. Please give yourself time to heal and let the swelling subside.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Water pill after Lipo

Your body should work to get rid of the fluid. If you have not been on water pills before, it's not recommended to go on them at this point, particularly if there are focal pockets of fluid. These respond best to needle drainage. All in all it's best if you follow with your surgeon and see what she/he recommends for you. Taking pills can alter your electrolytes, so you should be followed if you are placed on diuretic medication.Best of luck

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Water pill and liposuction

No, I do not recommend water pills for this situation. The swelling from liposuction can take several months to settle. Be patient.