How can I improve vaginal laxity after 2 kids?

I had 3 Mona Lisa treatments that seemed to have help but things now feel worse. My vaginal canal feels very lax. I do not currently have continence issues. I have an Intensity kegel exerciser/vibrator. Can this help with laxity issues? It has been 7 months since I gave birth, 3 months since I stopped breastfeeding, 2 months on Accutane, and 3 months on Ocella birth control. Could any of things affect laxity? I want to explore all avenues before considering surgery.

Doctor Answers 5

Improve Vaginal Laxity

Thank you for your question.Loss of vaginal laxity can be common after childbirth. I would recommend a vaginoplasty which helps tighten the vaginal walls that have become loose due to childbirth or aging. I would wait until you are done having children to have this procedure done so it doesn’t affect your results. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

Vaginal laxity

From your history you are a good candidate for a surgical labiaplasty. However, you should wait 3 to 6 months after you stop Acutane before you do this, which would be a better time to do it anyway. In the meantime, do Kegels or vaginal weights and see if you can improve with toning of your vaginal muscles.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN
4.9 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Vaginal laxity and vaginoplasty

Hi, Co2 treatments are great for the vagina, but if there is excessive laxity, a vaginoplasty is still the best treatment option. If you are done having kids, I would consider a vaginoplasty. If not done with having kids then Mona Lisa or co2re Intima are good temporary options.

Falguni Patel, MD, FACOG
Colts Neck OB/GYN
4.9 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Vaginal laxity is sometimes the tip of the iceberg. Get a complete exam by a gyn pelvic reconstruction expert.

Vaginal laxity may be accompanied by childbirth related damage to the pelvic supports. It's pretty common. This would explain why nothing has worked for you. I recommend that you schedule a consultation with an expert in pelvic reconstruction to assess the status of your pelvic supports. This needs to be addressed first if you wish to correct laxity.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN
4.6 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Vaginal laxity can be a medical issue or a cosmetic/functional issue

Vaginal laxity is not uncommon after childbirth, but the children are definitely worth all of our dedicated input into their lives.  The MonaLisa Touch will help some; most women notice improvement after the treatments, but it will not correct large changes in laxity.  All of your other medications and events you listed will not have a large impact on laxity.  Local muscle toning like Kegels will help with some of the symptoms.  You are probably at a point to decide if it is worthwhile to undergo a surgery to make larger changes.  Sometimes there is actual prolapse where a surgery is medically indicated, and if not, it is more of a cosmetic or functional procedure.  There are surgeries that can be done to tighten the vaginal walls and target your symptoms and medical issues in the pelvis.  Overall, if you are months from delivery, it may not be a good idea to consider surgery unless you are having significant symptoms, although surgery is not a wrong thing to consider at this point.  Work with your gynecologist to decide medically and personally what is the best thing to do.  One thing you can also consider that is conservative is to work with a certified pelvic floor physical therapist to do directed treatment of the pelvic muscles.  Surgery is not without potential complications, so consider this carefully and make sure it does for you what you want.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.