Umbilical float tummy tuck - belly button scar (photo)

I am currently interviewing Doctors for my tummy tuck. My biggest concern is the belly button scar as I feel it will be s dead giveaway of my procedure. The last Dr I saw suggested an umbilical float tummy tuck. I was not aware of this type and from what u have read not many Dr think it's a good method. I was really excited to see this Dr and I am confident in his ability but I felt he was not recommending what he thought would look best but, just addressing my concerns.

Umbilical float abdominoplasty candidates

I agree with the other respondents re. this kind of surgery. It can work well, but requires someone with a long rectangular trunk, a high native belly button, and a modest amount of skin excess. In the wrong patient's it ends up with an overly low belly button position.

I don't think I've ever had a male patient I've suggested it for. Looking at your photo, I wouldn't say "never" as you don't have too much skin, but it would be a safer plan to proceed with a standard approach I think

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical float tummy tuck - belly button scar

Tummy tuck would produce a tighter, flatter result without giving you a lower belly button.

Umbilical float tummy tuck

In my opinion the umbilical float is a bad idea for you because your belly button may end up too low. 

However, while your picture is limited, it appears as though you don't really have any loose skin above your belly button. This would mean that you may not need a full tummy tuck and because of this you would not need a scar around your belly button. It seems as though you could have a nice result with skin excised from the lower abdomen alone. Sort of a "mini" tummy tuck, if you will. As a man, I understand your hesitation in having a scar around the belly button. I would not want it either if I could get away without having it. The good news is that I believe you really can avoid it.

No belly button float

I do not think it is a good idea.  The belly button often looks too low once you detach it and move it lower in most patients.

Umbilical Float technique is not for you

An umbilical float procedure (in which the belly button is lowered internally and without external scarring) is a great technique in the right patient. This would be patients with a belly button that is already very high. Unfortunately, this technique would make your belly button unnaturally low and look odd. You would do best with a formal tummy tuck. If the surgeon is good, then the belly button scars are usually well hidden and not bad. Seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is an expert at body contouring and particularly has experience with male tummy tucks.

Mini tuck a choice

You can do the mini tuck and keep your belly button attached and see if you are satisfied with the results. If you want more then that operation gives you then you have a second procedure  at least 6 months later to convert to the full tummy tuck and move the belly button. A well done belly button really looks natural with minimal visible scars. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical transposition

Thanks for the question and for the photo.

I am not a fan of the umbilical transposition.  I have seen far too many post-op patients (from other surgeons) come here after their procedures requesting a revision to raise the height of their umbilicus which is not possible.  A mini tummy tuck would address the skin from your umbilicus down to your pubis, but not the upper abdominal skin (which does not look excessive in your case).

Best of luck in your decision.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Mini-Abdominoplasty

If you are concerned about the umbilical scar, you may be a good candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty in which there are no umbilical scars. Based on the one picture, it appears that most of your excess skin is below the umbilicus. This skin can be excised from an horizontal incision in the pubic area. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical float

Thanks for your question and the photos. You have to really have the right patient for an umbilical float. The risk here is two fold. If the patient is not tall enough the belly button will wind up very low to address the skin that lives above the belly button.  If you ps feels it's too low he can suture it up at a higher location, but that will not remove as much upper abdominal skin. I have seen a number of patient  who had umbilical floats disappointed that their surgeons did not remove enough skin or that the belly button is too low. Once it is floated it can't be replaced to a higher level.

I share your concerns and I believe the umbilical scar in a standard tummy tuck is the most important. For this reason I tend to favor small, less obtrusive belly buttons. As you know there are fewer limitation in skin removal in a standard full tummy tuck.

A mini tummy tuck will pull the bellybutton down a bit, but not remove as much skin. Since your upper abdomen looks good you may consider this as a happy medium.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photograph, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the underwear line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD