Is a second treatment within 4 weeks better than waiting 3 months?

I have done several CoolSculpting treatments. My esthetician insists that to increase fat loss in an area, a second application should be done within 3 or 4 weeks, as, "the second application builds on the first, and makes for a better result". I feel they are rushing it. Is this what Zeltiq recommends? Is there any benefit to doing a second application in the same area within a month, or are the same (or better) results gotten when waiting 3 or even 6 months, all other factors being equal?

When to retreat

We wait 8 weeks to retreat in my practice.  Sometimes people don't need a second treatment at all.  You can treat different areas through.

Timing of follow-up CoolSculpting treatments

You have asked in excellent question. There is no absolute right or wrong and each situation must be handled individually. If you question the judgment of the person you have been seeing for treatment than I would suggest obtaining another opinion. Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Timing of Second CoolSculpting Treatment

We usually wait between 2-3 months before doing the next CoolSculpting treatment. Though results can be seen in as little as 3 weeks, it can take up to 3 months for maximum results from a single treatment. I don't see much point in killing fat cells that are already dead so we don't treat sooner than 2 months.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Time between procedures

One of the major benefits of having an additional procedure so shortly after the first is because you'll end up seeing a great amount of reduction in the area throughout the three months that your body is ridding itself of the dead fat cells. It's perfectly acceptable to wait between treatments however there are benefits in having them closer together, it's really up to the patient's discretion.

Coolsculpting and Time between Treatments

There are many physicians who repeat the procedure 4 weeks after the initial procedure. I prefer to wait to see the results before re-treating the same area.  Best, Dr. Green

Second treatment for Zeltiq

I usually have my patients wait 8 weeks. If they are treating in a slightly different area (Say just above or below the initial treatment) I will do it right away. That said there isn't any harm in retreating at 4 weeks, I just like the body to clear out the dead fat cells. There's no point in retreating them! Good luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon