How long should I wait to get a tattoo over my TT scar?

I've been using scar treatment oitments and tapes but not completely satisfied

Tummy tuck scar

The scar should reach maturity between 6 months to a year. I would wait that long prior to planning any intervention to improve the scar. 

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo tt scar?

No perfect timing for this type of situation but in general you should wait for at least 6 months to allow the scar to mature.  Some would argue to wait for about 1 year.  Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Wait at least a year to tattoo scar

I always advice my patients to wait at least a year before doing anything to their scar. It can take at least that long for the scar to fully resolve.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo on scar

It might take a year or longer for the scar to soften and flatten enough. Best to check with your doc as well.

Tattooing scars

The scarring process is a complex and dynamic one, and in most patients it takes about a year for a scar to completely stabilize and mature into its finally appearance. It may be best to wait until then before making a decision, but consult with your plastic surgeon first.

Best of luck

Keith M. Blechman, MD

New York, NY

TT Scar, Tattoo\

Hello!

I know it is difficult to wait so long, you lose patience, when there is no good results in our scar. Have you tried with Trofolastin elasticity? It has to be used for several months to see its effect, it really works!
Your plastic surgeon will always be the best option to seek opinions about your procedure.
Regards, 

Mármol, Shailyn MD

Shailyn Marmol, MD

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure. Your plastic surgeon will be your best guide when it comes to your plan to tattoo over the scar. In my practice, I ask to wait until they are at least 12 months out of surgery. You will find examples of such tattoos on the attached link. Best wishes.

Healing of Incisions and Scars

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, in determining how long is needed to wait before getting an area over the scar it would likely be best to have the area examined by your surgeon to make sure healing is complete and the tattoo would be safe. Good luck.

Tattoo over tummy tuck scar

Hi,

Wait at least a year or more before you make this move.  Patients are anxious as the scar goes through the changes.  Usually, the scar heals remarkably and then instead of you deciding to "hide" it, you might see that it is a non issue.  If you want a tattoo, then do one where you want instead of where you think it would "hide" a scar.

After a year or so, you will know what to do.  Just ask someone with a C-section scar that is transverse and see how these incisions usually heal without being covered with a tattoo.