Swelling and hardness in the mons pubis area, is this normal?

I'm almost 10 weeks post op tummy tuck. How much swelling should I be experiencing at this point? And why does the area under my incision feel hard and numb to the touch? Is that normal? And can I stop wearing my compression garment? I've worn it daily almost 24 hrs a day since my procedure. I also had hernia repair. Thanks!

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. It is important to attach some photos to your question so that we can evaluate and answer your question better.Best of luck

Firmness after tummy tuck

Firmness after a tummy tuck is common and often softens. Specifics about your care and at your time frame post-op should be discussed with your surgeon. Good luck.

Swelling around tummy tuck incision

Thank you for your question. Swelling above and below the abdominal plasty incision is very common and may persist for 6 to 12 months. Wearing a garment or spanks with Topifoam can be quite helpful during this period. Scar massage is also helpful. Consult your plastic surgeon regarding these issues. Best wishes!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. It is common to have residual swelling of the abdomen and mons area after a tummy tuck. Firmness in the tissue under your incision is normal as well. Typically, your abdomen has less sensation after a tummy tuck. All of these  concerns- swelling, firmness and numbness usually lessen significantly over the first 3-5 months.  I usually recommend wearing a binder for the first 4 weeks. It doesn't hurt to wear it more and some patients find it comforting to wear it  longer.  I always recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon and making sure he/she doesn't have  a reason for continued use of the binder.Good luck with your recovery !

Stephen Small, DO
Toms River Plastic Surgeon