surgical dilemma, please help! (photos)

I am 28, mother of 2, 134 lb. Looking to get a breast augmentation with lift. Post surgery i am looking to get a full, youthful looking breasts with minimal scarring. I was looking to get 350-400 cc, saline implants. I received medical opinions of 4 surgeons, and 2 said that I definitely need a lollipop lift and 2 said donut mastopexy will be enough. Please help!

Which lift?

It can sometimes be hard to tell which lift to use until the time of surgery. In the operating room once the implants are in the skin is elevated. 

In my own practice I educate my patients about the options and ask that they let me decide at the time of surgery after the implants are placed.

Your degree of laxity is in a grey zone where your surgeon might be able to go either way.From your wish photos more lifting is likely better, but if you like and trust one of the surgeons you might allow the PS to decide in the operating room .

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Surgical dilemma, please help!

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hard to say without measurements and an exam, but...

...I'm not sold on you needing a lift at all.  With the proper implant, I think you would get a beautiful result with just an augmentation.  I can't say that for sure without examining you, but that is my gut instinct from your pictures.  If you do need a lift, I am not a fan of the circum-areolar lift or "donut lift".  Hope this helps!

-JGH

Breast augmentation surgical dilemma, please help!

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo and your desired final size it is very likely that you will need a breast lift with a vertical component such as a lollipop lift.  You are hoping to achieve a fairly large size  breast and it is likely that the 350-400 cc range will be necessary.

Please understand  that the look every to achieve will only be possible when wearing a bikini top or supportive bra.   It is impossible to get that full pushed up look even after breast lift with implants unless you wear a supportive garment..

Implants and a lift

You would have to be examined in person. I think that based solely on your photos, you might be a candidate for just a circumareola lift.

Breast implants

To answer your question for certain, it's important to examine you in person and discuss your goals. That being said, from the photos you posted you appear to be borderline droopy. You might be able to achieve your goals with implants alone, as they give the illusion of a lift. After 9 months, if you feel that you are still too droopy, you could always then get a lift. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with lift

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photos which demonstrate mild breast ptosis (sagging), you would likely achieve a good result with implants and a limited extent breast lift.  If you want minimal scarring, a donut lift can be considered.  This tends to flatten the breast somewhat however.  If you want the best possible contour, a lollipop lift would be a better option.  Many times, the decision on the extent of the lift is decided intraoperatively when the implants are already in place and the skin can be evaluated for residual excess.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Breast lift incisions

This question really depends on what you want. I personally do not like the donut incision since the scars tend to widen over time and the procedure seems to flatten the breast. The lollipop incision is a little longer but tends to be a better quality scar that does not tend to widen as much, and gives a more conical breast shape. Discuss all with a surgeon you trust and look at their pre and post op photos to see the shape and scars.  Good luck.

Breast Lift Options

While both types of breast lifts may be successful with your implants, you have said a key element in that decision process....minimal scarring. In that case a donut procedure would probably be the best for you. A vertical breast lift will be more effective but it also creates some more scar. It is s question of which is more acceptable for you....better lift and more scar  or less lift and less scar.