Can I get surgery while on medication for Rhumatoid arthritis?
Doctor Answers 2
Liposuction when taking Zeljanz
Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
- You probably can have liposuction but a few things have to be sorted out first -
- Will your rheumatologist approve you for surgery.
- If so, then your plastic surgeon and rheumatologist should talk befoer your surgery to be sure any special precautions that might help you are taken.
- You will be at a higher risk of infection -
- And please be sure to have a qualifieid plastic surgeon do your surgery.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Surgery on Immune Modulators
It is not ideal to have elective surgery on an immune modulators. Most plastic surgeons would ask you to stop the medication at least 2 weeks prior to the procedure or even more. Your neurologist would be very helpful to determine what is possible. Meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are. Best wishes.