How can I help my stomach from swelling? I'm 3 months post op mommy makeover (Photo)

I wake up with a flat belly and as the day goes on I start swelling and get so bloated looking. I'm 5'6" and 116lbs but my stomach seems bigger now then before surgery because of the swelling. I also notice the top of my stomach seems to push out like below my rib cage. Is something wrong with my muscles or is this normal healing process? I go see my surgeon next week but wanted to ask here too.

Tummy Tuck - Post Op Swelling?

Thank you for your question. You should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery, Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-operative swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

How can I help my stomach from swelling? I'm 3 months post op mommy makeover

Congratulations on having undergone the mommy makeover procedures. Longer-term swelling after tummy tuck surgery is not uncommon; swelling may persist for many months and even up to one year after the procedure is performed. Often, patients will report that the swelling increases as their activity level increases and gets worse later on in the day. Sometimes, the use of compressive garments may be helpful to control the edema.
I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon as scheduled. He will be in the best position to assess your situation (rule out complications that present as increased swelling) and provide you with specific recommendations.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Swelling after Mommy Makeover

A Mommy Makeover is a big procedure and it takes a little longer to completely recover when doing a combination of procedures as opposed to just one at a time.  Three months is still relatively early in the healing process and it is not unusual to still have some swelling at this point.  The swelling should slowly improve over the next several months.

Continue to follow-up with your surgeon as he/she is the best one to monitor your progress.  Overall your pictures look great and you should continue to improve.  

Jeff T. Healy, MD
Oahu Island Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

It is very normal that you still have swelling 3 months post op. This can continue even until you are 9-12 months post op. From what i can see on the photos you have great first results. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

After viewing your photos, it appears that you have an excellent result and are healing normally.  Swelling after a tummy tuck can normally take up to 6 months or more to fully resolve.  Much of that depends on your overall activity level.  

Be sure to discuss this with your plastic surgeon next week.

Good luck.

Mommy make-over - still swelling after 3 months

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over healnig.

• Recovery from a mommy make-over truly does take time.
  • It's excellent that your surgeon is seeing you for a 3 month visit -
  • But you will continue to improve for months more.
  • You won't see your final result for at least another 3 months, maybe longer.
  • But for the upper tummy bulge, you can have your surgeon examine you to tell you if it seems like fat, swelling or muscle - it may be reassuring.
  • It the photo, it suggests swelling but an exam is needed to know for sure.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Swelling following a tummy tuck

At 3 months post-op, it is normal to still have swelling.  I tell my patients that residual swelling can linger for up to a year following this procedure. Often times, with my patients that are more active, that tends to make the swelling last longer.  I would just be patient and understand that it is part of the healing process.  However, still mention your concerns to your plastic surgeon for his guidance and reassurance.  Good luck!

Swelling after TT

It is perfectly normal to have numbness or swelling after a tummy tuck which is expected to slowly have sensation return to normal after many months and even years following your surgery.

Although uncommon, permanent numbness and tingling can occur after tummy tuck surgery, especially in the lower mid line area between the scar and belly button. In most cases there is some sensation present, just not the normal pre-surgical amount. Please speak with your plastic surgeon about your concerns.