Are steriods needed during anesthesia?

I did a consult with a dr for a BBL and he explained dexamethasone is used IV during surgery. I develop extreme facial swelling and rash all over my face when I take any form of steriods - topical, IM, oral, etc. He said the steriods are used in case of a fat embolism to reduce the response of immune system. I am wondering if the surgery could be done without the steriods? Is this standard or just the the way this surgeon does it?

Steroids and surgery

It is best to discuss that with your surgeon and anesthesiologist before surgery.  Not all patients need steroids.

Are steroids needed during anesthesia?

There are benefits and risks to using steroids.   If you have an allergy to steroids, you must tell your doctor.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Are steriods needed during anesthesia?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Here at the Dominican Republic most of the board certified plastic surgeons uses epidural block anesthesia with sedation, pain free, and patient completely sleeping. After the procedure you can talk with your surgeon about some steroid injections that can be used on your keloided scars to make them smooth..

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD