Could Smart Lipo help me? Or should I get actual Liposuction? (photos)

I want my stomach to be flatter and there's some fat on my arms that I'm very uncomfortable with. The problem is I can't exercise as much as I need to, because I've had knee surgery on both knees I'm 18 years old and I'm on antidepressants so weight loss is very hard for me, and I just feel like having some fat taken out of me might benefit me self esteem, and health wise. Also I heard it's cheaper and less invasive then actual liposuction.

Smart Lipo

Thank you for your question. Smart Lipo is a phenomenal option for removing unwanted fat and also cellulite. It is a quicker procedure that can be performed safely in the office setting. There are great follow-up procedures as well, including ScupSure which can remove the stubborn and unwanted subcutaneous fat that is very difficult to remove even with a rigorous diet and exercise program. Please consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

SmartLipo or Lipo?

Thanks for your question. SmartLipo as done by most plastic surgeons actually involves liposuction but with the addition of laser. Also, it is usually done with the additional benefit of local anesthesia where the patient has the operation while awake, avoiding general anesthesia. This leads to a faster recovery. It's difficult to tell by the pictures, but targeted fat removal with liposuction or SmartLipo alike is an excellent technique to improve your figure if the skin is tight enough. This is best determined in consultation with a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon

Christopher T. Chia, MD

Liposuction Techniques -- SmartLipo Laser, Vaser Ultrasound, Body Jet Water

I suggest you go to an expert. I find that the combination of water and ultrasound (VASER) gives the best hi definition result. I think laser does very little for the ultimate outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer

SmartLipo and Liposuction

SmartLipo is actual liposuction.  It just has the extra step of treating the fat with a laser before the liposuctioning is done.  Liposuction of any kind is primarily a contour procedure, and not primarily a weight loss procedure.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo versus "Regular Lipo"

From the pictures, it is difficult to give a full assessment.  Any form of liposuction is going to remove fat.  The question then is whether the skin is appropriate for liposuction alone or needs to have an excision procedure such as tummy tuck.  It would really be essential for an in-person consultation to examine you and review your options.

David Shafer, MD

Smart lipo

We use smart lipo (laser) and /or Vaser ultrasound liposuction which makes the scrubs liposuction much easier to perform and recover from. It also adds skin tightening.
An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

SmartLipo is "Regular" Lipo with an extra step added. Expect to pay more.

Your photos are underexposed and don't give a good view of your belly. Lipo of any kind is not a weight loss strategy. It's body contouring and if you continue to gain weight your results will be temporary. Nonetheless, smart lipo is regular lipo with an extra step added between the numbing and the suction phases of the procedure. The extra step consists of passing a laser fiber through the fat near the skin to heat it up and promote skin shrinkage. Skin shrinkage happens whether you use the laser or not, but it happens faster with the laser. The results look the same either way. Since the laser is an expensive piece of technology you can expect to pay more for smart lipo to subsidize the cost of the laser to the surgeon.

SmartLipo

Thank you for your question.  Body contouring includes a number of procedures and techniques.  A consult with a board certified plastic surgeon is the place to start.  The technique and equipment to be use will be recommended to you based on your goals.  No matter what surgery you have, it is not for weight control and maintaining weight after any procedure is essential to the results.