Can sagging labia minora cause irritation?

Could the irritation I feel when I exercise or even just walk be due to my labia minora protruding down too far and rubbing against the fabric of my underwear? I'm 36, had a child 20mo ago & suffered from acute vaginitis for a solid month about 8mo ago but this issue has only recently presented itself. My labia majora is looking saggy and deflated as well but honestly I'm less concerned with the "beauty" of my vagina & more concerned with being comfortable. Is this a common complaint?

Pain and Discomfort

Women have a wide range of normal  color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitalia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. If you feel you are having these problems then it is totally up to you to take on surgery research. Take a look at the attached video with some instructions to your research. Best of luck to you!

Unfortunately when labia sag or droop this can cause chaffing due to contact with clothing -especially tight clothing such as clothing commonly worn for exercise.  This is especially true when dryness is also present.  The first thing that you should do, though, is to be seen by your OB/Gyn to make sure that you do not have some form of vaginitis that is contributing to your discomfort and have a thorough exam.  The symptoms may not always be obvious to you, but treatment of an underling problem may provide immense help.  Yeast or bacterial vaginosis can be present without be clinically apparent and cause the tissue to be very sensitive and swollen.  So see your OB/Gyn before going any further on treatment.    Good luck in your treatment!!

It's definitely possible to have chafing and pinching from enlarged labia minora. This is a common complaint and a common reason to pursue labiaplasty. Make sure to find the right doctor first, one who has reviews/photos/videos. It's fine to travel for this procedure if you find the right doctor. Most doctors in your area will only do a trim procedure, which I don't do and don't think is a good idea. Easier, yes, but more painful and more recovery.

Can Labia Minora Cause Irritation?

Your complaints of irritation are very common among women with sagging or long labia, and it is a frequent reason for a request for labiaplasty. Patients may experience discomfort when wearing tight pants or lacy underwear. They may be in pain when riding a bicycle, a motorcycle, or a horse. Labiaplasty in such women is associated with a high satisfaction rate. It is important, however, to choose a surgeon who is experienced in female genital plastic surgery, whether they are a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist. A poorly done labiaplasty can result in pain and can be difficult to fix.For more information, click on the link below. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Irritation of the Labia Minora

This is a complaint women often express when they come to see me. Elongated labia minora may be due to labial hypertrophy. The most common complaints associated with this is rubbing and discomfort when wearing certain clothing and with certain activities like running or cycling. You definitely have options to address this. I would recommend you consult a specialist in cosmetic gynecology.

Dr. Brady

Irritation is common with elongated labia minora

Skin that folds over onto itself creates a moist environment which can cause irritation similar to diaper rash. This is also common underneath large breasts and underneath a large apron of abdominal fat. The moist environment also is a perfect environment for bacterial and fungal overgrowth. Labiaplasty is an effective method of reducing this excess skin and it's associated unpleasant consequences when nonsurgical options don't do the job.

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing. Though photographs would help give a more definite recommendation, your complaint is a common one for women who elect to undergo a labiaplasty for an improvement. Hope this helps.

Labia irritation

You're not alone. Many women experience similar discomfort. Labiaplasty reduces the labia minor to alleviate cosmetic as well as functional concerns. The labia majora can be adjusted as well if needed or desired. I would recommend you see a board certified plastic surgeon for an examination and to discuss your concerns. 

Dr. Jan

Badar Jan, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Protrusion of minor lips?

the minor lips were stretched over and out with the baby's head coming through. When it "crowned" the tissue was actually 2-3 inches out and down by being stretched and sometimes torn. Do not focus please on this trauma--it is natural but the "rubber band" tissue doesn't go back completely to starting point. Tissue will sag, and in your case amy cause symptoms of irritation. Ask your OBGYN what he/she thinks and whether you are outside of the normal state.