Is it safe to do lipo on abs and flank under local? Is it safe to have tummy tuck revision 1 year after surgery? (Photo)

According to my ASPS certified surgeon, My TT and breast lift result look great. I still look preagnant. He tells me that it is safe to do lipo on my abd and flank under local. I will take a little pill for anxiety. He injected my scars and it created discoloration and dents in my breast and pubic. I think that i need a revision but he said not. he said lipo will correct the pregnant look. I don't know what to think. Please give suggestions on few options that will improve my scars and TT result

Is it safe to do lipo on abs and flank under local? Is it safe to have tummy tuck revision 1 year after surgery?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Liposuction under local anesthesia?

• Thank you for your question about local anesthesia for your liposuction.
  • First of all, be sure that you understand how much fat can be removed from your tummy.
  • You look a little overweight and if fat is internal, liposuction cannot remove it.
  • Liposuction can be done with oral sedation, intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
  • If your surgeon plans liposuction of your entire abdomen, he probably can do it with local anesthesia -
  • It will take time and there will be times when  it hurts.
  • Done with general anesthesia, it will cost you more but will take much less time.
  • Your scars suggest you had areas on the breast that didn't heal well -
  • Discuss the cause with your surgeon and whether a scar revision is worthwhile.
  • Without before photos, one can't judge a result but apart from the scars which may have been from poor healing or infection, yours looks good.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
    Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lipo under local

I perform a lot of lipo under local. If you have a reasonable amount of subcutaneous fat, then you might be a good candidate.  Best of luck.

Tummy tuck revision

One year post-op is an appropriate time for abdominoplasty revision.  Liposuction, save for a minimal amount, should be performed under intravenous sedation. If you need your flanks and abdomen suctioned, then I would not consider doing this under straight local alone.  Based on your comments with respect to the scarring and indentations, if you are not confident in your plastic surgeon's abilities, it might be wise to seek a second surgical opinion. Best wishes.

Liposuction

How much improvement you might get depends on how much fat there is available for liposuction. If the abdominal fat is largely outside of the muscles, I.e., just under the skin, you may get significant improvement. If the fat is "visceral", meaning it is under the muscles/on top of the intestines, the only way to (reasonably) reduce it is diet/exercise. 

As for the scars, being African American puts one at increased risk for keloid scars, and steroid injections certainly can cause what you got, thinning and lightening of the skin, unfortunately. It would have been nice for your doc to tell you that was a possible outcome, but, honestly, when a patient has a painful, itchy, raised scar I don't think I have ever had them refuse steroid shots, even when told about the risks. And, FYI, you do have a very nice overall result. 

Lipo under local is possible, but I prefer (especially for a large area like the abdomen) general anesthesia. I know it costs more, but i feel it's worth it for my patients.