Is it safe to have fillers injected near eyes?

I have eye hollows and loss of fat on temples. Is it safe to have temporary fillers injected in this area? I was considering fat transfer but I spoke to someone at a surgeon's office and they told me it would be better to get fillers first to see how I like it. But I also heard it is dangerous.

Eye Fillers -- Use Cannulas

Fillers around the eyes can give amazing results but requires meticulous skill and should be done by someone very experienced.  I suggest cannula injections to limit complications.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Fillers around the eyes

Injectable fillers are an excellent option for treating aging changes around the eyes, including the under-eye hollow or "tear trough". The most important thing from your end is to find an experienced injector with proven results, so it is important to do some research.

Hyaluronic acid fillers are the best option and safest around the eyes, which is a very delicate area (even more of a reason you need to see an experienced injector). They have the benefit of being reversible if the treatment is unsatisfactory or if complications develop (which are rare). They give very natural-appearing results and the majority of patients are very happy.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Safe Filler For Tear Troughs

I would consider using a hyaluronic acid filler like Restylane for the tear trough correction, which will not cause significant swelling and can last for over a year.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Fillers around the eyes

Hi Carrissa, it is very common to have filler injected around the eyes. The eyes are often the first area of the face to show aging. Hollowness is one of the ways that aging is manifests in the peri-orbital region. Fillers such as Restylane or Belotero are great options to address the hollowness. They work by blending the lower eyelid with cheek, creating a smooth contour. It is true that complications can occur when injecting in this area and it is important to follow up with an experienced injector.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler for tear troughs and temples

Tear troughs and temples can be treated off-label with fillers.  These areas should be treated by a skilled, experienced physician injector to minimize any risk.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Fillers around the eyes

In my opinion the safest way to treat around the eyes is with hyaluronic acid fillers.  All medical treatments, (including taking aspirin or motrin) have the potential for serious complication.  This issue is balancing that risk taking into account the rarity of the complications with your desire for the positive effect of the treatment.  This is a decision that needs to happen with your doctor before any medical treatment.   We treat patients with fillers around their eyes every day in our office, for over 10 years,  and have never seen a significant complication from those treatments.  However, this is an elective treatment and should be discussed all of your concerns with your doctor.

The are various reasons why I believe that hyaluronic acid fillers, (like Restylane and Voluma) are the safest way to add fullness around the eyes and temples.  First the advantage of these fillers is that they are reversible.  That is a huge advantage.  No matter how skilled the physician, there are occasional times where the treatment needs adjustments.  That is very easy to do with fillers and often virtually impossible to do after a fat treatment. 

In addition the risk of more significant complications, although rare for both fat and filler, is more common with fat than with filler.

Bottom line, these are all important questions to discuss with you doctor prior to treatments. 

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Injectable fillers for the lower lids and temples--safe in experienced hands. Fat can be used, too!

Injectable fillers are used quite often to fill in the "tear trough" or under eye hollows. This is not the easiest of injections to perform, so be sure you find an experienced injector. Filling in the temples is quite easy to perform, and most likely you will be very pleased with those results.
Fat transfer is also an option for you, however fat can be unpredictable and you may need more than one procedure.

Theda C. Kontis, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler injections around the eyes

Thank you for your question. The use of injectable fillers around the eyes is considered an off label indication that has not yet been approved by the FDA.  Serious complications have been reported with these injections;  however, thousands and thousands of patients have also been injected safely with excellent outcomes. It is imperative that you do your research and select a well trained and experienced physician injector should you choose to undergo this procedure. Best of luck to you! 

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon