How Do I Get Rid Of This? I've been suffering with this for about 10 years. I'm hairier than usual for a women. (photo)

I've been suffering with this for about 10 years. I'm hairier than usual for a women. I'm very insecure about it beings though I want to show off my body when I go on vacation but I worry about how this will look so I always cover up. I really want to know how can I get rid of it. Any suggestions?

Excess Hair

Thanks for your question. Electrolysis is an option but would take a really long time. Look for laser hair removal with a machine that can treat darker skin types- for example the Vectus laser from Cynosure. If you go to the Cynosure website you can use the doctor locator to see if someone in or near your zip code has the Vectus.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician

Hairier than usual, how can I get rid of it?

Hello, thank you for your question. Laser hair removal is an excellent option for ridding this area of hair follicles.  Most importantly, with your darker skin type is that the correct wavelength be used when treating. The YAG 1064 wavelength can remove unwanted hair safely on darker skin types. It appears that the follicles are irritated, possible ingrown and causing hyperpigmentation on your skin.  If you rid the area of the follicles, there will be less irritation and the pigment should fade over time. Be sure to find a board certified dermatologist in your area for safest results.

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation from hair

Hyperpigmentation from hair issues can be seen in folks with more pigment. I have had patients with this discoloration around the hair follicles due to irritation of the hair follicle as well as ingrown hair. Once the hair is removed with laser hair removal, the pigmentation disappears or gets lighter. The hair is the culprit!