Would you recommend Juvederm for my laugh lines? (photos)

I have these lines on my face, that I think are quite noticeable. I am 31, sensitive skin. I spoke to my dermatologist and he said he would use one syringe worth. Is it necessary? Thanks.

Juvederm for laugh lines

Thanks for your inquiry.  You stated that your feel these facial lines are noticeable so presumably you are looking for options to make them less visible.  Juvederm is one way to decrease their appearance.  Like your dermatologist I usually suggest patients try one syringe to start.  You will come to your own decision whether the lines bother you enough to justify the cost and potential downtime.

Juvederm for Laugh Lines

No, getting Juvederm is not necessary; it is simply a matter of do you want it, or not. It is elective.  Yes, fillers such as Juvederm can and will improve this area.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, licensed and certified providers for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have the procedure.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Juvederm to NLF's

Thank you for your question and photo. It appears as though you are a candidate for Juvederm to the nasolabial folds. One syringe between both sides may not be enough product to achieve the desired goal, you may need one for each side. The decision on whether or not is necessary is up to you.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Restoring Appropriate Volume To The Mid Face Also Secondarily Helps Smile Lines

I have been using fillers for over thirty years, since the days of the original Zyderm I collagen filler. In those days, in the infancy of the nonsurgical aesthetic rejuvenation field, we used to simply "chase lines and folds" with fillers. During the past fifteen years in particular, we have come to understand that loss of fat compartment volume within the skin (as well in bone, cartilage, and muscle), in addition to gravity related changes in the position of the remaining areas of volume within the face is largely responsible for the formation of the wrinkles and folds, including the smile lines. 

For this reason, today sophisticated nonsurgical facial rejuvenation techniques entail the restoration of lost volume within the areas of the cheekbones and mid-facial region--an improvement that not only improves the appearance of these areas, but secondarily can improve significantly the smile lines (often without needing to treat these directly). By coincidence, this was precisely what was done for the 37 year old woman I just treated before answering this question. She came to me concerned about the prominence of her smile lines and I demonstrated to her that these lines could be dramatically improved simply by resupplying volume to her cheeks and to the mid-facial region without having to fill the smile lines directly at all.. From the photo provided it would seem that mid-facial volumization might be in order.

For more information on nonsurgical cheek augmentation and nonsurgical mid-face rejuvenation with volumizing fillers, check out the archives of Realself.com. Consultation with a board certified aesthetic core physician with experience and expertise in nonsurgical facial sculpturing is strongly advised. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Juvederm and Nasolabial Folds

Juvederm would be the perfect filler to correct your nasolabial area.  It will probably take two syringes to completely correct the area.  I would have two syringes injected and see if you like the results in two weeks time.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with cosmetic injections and Juvederm.

Laugh Lines

"Laugh lines" or nasolabial folds are made more prominent by volume loss in the upper face/cheek areas. I would use a filler such as Voluma to your cheek areas first which will soften your nasolabial folds. You need less filler to your nasolabialf folds if you volumize your upper face. Many fillers, including Juvederm, would be appropriate to use in your "laugh lines".  Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon experienced in aesthetic injectables. Best wishes.

Kristin Baird, MD
Longmont Dermatologic Surgeon

Would you recommend Juvederm for my laugh lines?

Yes first try 1 syringe to see if effective. I think you will need up to 3 syringes though to correct NL folds... 

Juvederm and "laugh lines"

Your picture demonstrates some probably volume loss in the cheeks and moderately deep naso-labial folds (grooves around the nose).  Sometimes it is helpful to review a decade old picture to see if these folds were present earlier so as to determine your natural facial architecture.  Fine lines that are diffuse are usually treated with laser resurfacing (various types, milder for younger skin) but for deeper folds, fillers such as Juvederm are appropriate.  If you do indeed have loss of volume above the fold in the mid cheek, filler is injected here first to lift the cheek and indirectly improve the naso-labial folds, at least partially.  This maneuver, if cheek volume loss is present, often results in a more natural appearance.  If you naturally have deep naso-labial folds, then attempting to 'erase' them with filler, will often result in an unaesthetic, mid facial over-filled appearance. 

Christopher Dannaker, DO
Monterey Dermatologic Surgeon

How to treat laugh lines

"Laugh lines" are really just the first obvious visible signs of a slow progressive change taking place in all structures of the face. I usually prefer to treat laugh lines by injecting a deeper filler such as Radiesse, Sculptra, or Juvederm Voluma into multiple areas of the mid-face to treat the volume loss that leads to their appearance. This leads to the subtle and natural-looking results that are so often desired. Patients don’t want to look “done” but also don’t want to look “tired”. Seemingly small changes in shape, proportions, balance, and symmetry can have a surprisingly large effect on our perception of the face. From your photograph, it appears you can benefit from this approach. Is it necessary? Cosmetic treatments are rarely "necessary". They are almost always optional.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for nasolabial folds

If your nasolabial folds are particularly deep and you want an improvement, it is often possible to do so with hyaluronic fillers. Best of luck.