Raised redness after laser hair removal. Will this scar? Should I do something else? (photo)

Two hours after underarm laser hair removal using GentleLase, I have raised red patches. The practitioner kept ice on for one hour following procedure. I have subsequently iced--reducing redness slightly-- and now have the are covered with hydrocortisone 1%. Will this scar? Should I do something else?

Red bumps

Redness after laser hair removal is not uncommon.  You should see your treating physician for evaluation and management. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Underarm laser hair removal with raised red bumps after

It appears the settings were too high. It doesn't appear like it will blister. It might end up discolored, hyperpigmented.  In the long run, it should be OK however. I would probably have given either a shot of steroids or oral steroids in this case but that's just my preference. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Laser hair removal

Laser hair removal is among the most popular procedures done now in the United States.  The GentleLase is a great laser and is quite effective.  I can't tell from the photo what your skin type or know what energy was used to treat the hair.  Caution must be used in choosing not only the correct laser but the correct settings.  Please let me know how your condition is.  I would return this week to your treating physician.  It is important to consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with laser hair removal.