Questions/concerns after my first Tummy Tuck Consultation, how long will the scarring be visible? (photos)

I'm 34 male lost about 100lbs w/diet and exercise I had a tummy tuck consultation. I got a good feeling about him personally but have concerns. He is board certified in plastic not cosmetic surgery? My biggest concern with the full TT is the belly button scar, he said he would hood the BB to look more natural. Is this the best technique? How long will the belly button scar be visible after surgery. I want the surgery in Jan but going on vacation in late March, will people know I had surgery?

Tummy Tuck and scarring

Thank you for these wonderful questions. Board Certification with the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the most important certification. It is important to understand that any incision will leave a permanent scar although this scar will fade over time to a nice fine, thin, white line in most cases. I do not prefer to leave my belly button with a 'hood' as this is not a natural and youthful appearance. A vertical belly button is youthful and it is possible to hide the scar inside the belly button which allows for a youthful and aesthetically pleasing appearance. The scar for the tummy tuck itself is able to be kept quite low and out of view in clothing including swim trunks. I am always careful to discuss that the scar may take up to 12-18 months to fully mature. During this time it is important to protect the new scar tissue from UV exposure through the use of sunblock. While it is important to settle on a provider you are comfortable with please take into account Board Certification, experience, and proven results when making your decision. I encourage multiple consultations with at least 2-3 different Board Certified Plastic Surgeons to ensure all questions are answered and you are fully confident and comfortable with your decision. I do hope you have found this information helpful and I wish you luck! 

South Bend Plastic Surgeon

Plastic not cosmetic.

The gold standard in the world is American Board of Plastic Surgery. Incisions are permanent. What fades is the color of the incision which goes from reddish to a pink/dull pink color in most patients. Consider scar therapy after surgery, but they're still permanent, just like the positive changes that will occur in your body contour. 

Best wishes and good luck, Dr. ALDO :)

Top 100 Doctor for Realself 

Realself Core Physician

Aldo Guerra, MD

Appropriate surgeon for Male Tummy Tuck

Board certification in plastic surgery would be extremely important as an experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeon has the expertise to address your issues. The scar will most likely be visible two months post surgery. Consult with your surgeon as he or she knows the scope of the proposed surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Scars fade but visible for a while

Board certification in plastic surgery is the right thing to look for. A board certified cosmetic surgeon could be an OB/GYN or ENT doc who now does tummy tucks which is really scary. The American board of medical specialties does not recognize the cosmetic surgery board as legitimate entity. Sounds like the plastic surgeon is going to take good care of you. Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon