My question is are there any alternatives to meet my goal at least half way? I'm tired of being in constant pain (Photo)

I'm in need of a breast lift bad my breast is the cause of my back pain and other related issues. I'm 30 yrs old and I have dealt with the sagging for a long time and now they are extremely heavy. I'm sure I would benefit from a breast lift I'm aware of financing options my only concern is I have not yet give birth to a child and I want to breast feed when that time approaches. it's effecting my life in so many ways I appreciate all advice thank you.

Are there any alternatives to meet my goal at least halfway?

From your description and your picture you sound to be an excellent candidate for bilateral breast reduction. Get a good surgeon and discuss this option in detail.

Risks of Surgery

Over time, gravity will continue to have an effect and the breast skin will tend to stretch. The degree of #stretching and #sagging varies between women: generally, women with smaller breasts experience less recurring sagging. If sagging does occur, further excision of the skin on an outpatient basis can be used to correct the problem. Heavy and large breasts may lead to recurrent sagging and may require the removal of a small amount of breast tissue to achieve an optimal shape and size. One key to a satisfying result is realistic expectations.

All surgical procedures carry some degree of risk Any breast operation can result in changes in sensation. This happens less with lifts than reductions but is still possible Occasionally, minor complications occur and do not affect the surgical outcome. Major complications associated with this procedure are rare. The suitability of the breast lift procedure and specific risks may be determined during you consultation.

#Hypertrophic or #keloid scars can be a problem.  The worst are usually under the breast with an #AnchorLift or inverted “T”.  These can be treated like all thickened scars with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing

While it would depend on what incision you received and the overall procedure completed, there is always the risk of affecting your ability to breastfeed later if you have a breast lift before childbirth. The best thing to do would be to take all of your questions and concerns to a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what procedure may be your best option to maintain the fewest risk with pregnancy and breastfeeding in the future.

Badly need smaller breasts

Thank you for asking about your breast lift.

• I am so sorry you are in such pain with your enlarged breasts.
  • You need what is called a breast reduction - a lift done with removal of excess breast tissue.
  • Most lifts today can preserve breast attachments to the nipples so you have a reasonable chance of being able to breast feed.
  • Your breast reduction may be covered by insurance -
  • If so, in additional to financing your operating room costs may be partially covered, depending on the size of your health insurance deductible and copay.
  • I urge you to have a consultation and move forward with your surgery -
  • Living in pain is not good for us!

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS 

Alternative to breast reduction surgery?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.

Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.

Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.

When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction with lift

There are certainly risks of not being able to breast feed when undergoing breast surgery but it sounds like you are in a lot of physical pain.  I would recommend a breast reduction to reduce the size while lifting your breasts to give you some physical relief.  

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast reduction

Hello and thank you for your question and photo. 

Many women experience pain and discomfort with large heavy breasts. Some will often resort to using multiple bras,  Motrin,  pain medication and attempts at chiropractor or physical therapy. To date, there is no medical or scientific study proving that non-surgical options are of any value in treating this. 

The only treatment that is successful is surgery. All reductions are also lifts. It is true that a reduction will affect your ability to breast feed. Pregnancy can also change the size / shape of your breasts. If you elect to do this now, and have children in the future, there is a good chance you will need some revision in the future. 

You should seek several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any decisions.

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care physician.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain maybe needs a reduction

Sorry for your continued pain, but I think a visit to a board certified plastic surgeon would really be beneficial for you. You look like you may benefit from a breast reduction, which reduces the volume of the breasts while lifting them at the same time.

Both breast reduction and a breast lift can decrease the ability to breast feed, but only about 18 percent lose the ability to breast feed entirely. Most of the newer techniques have an even lower risk. 

The only other point to make, is that your breasts may change after pregnancy and a secondary procedure may be needed.

Good luck.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift - back pain

Anatomically it appears that you would benefit from a breast reduction.  However bear in mind that if there has been irreversible damage such as arthritis, a breast reduction will not make all of your pain go away however it should be much better.  Most patients can breast feed after breast reduction surgery however you should discuss that with a plastic surgeon in  person.  A change in your nipple areola position is part of breast reduction surgery so your breast lift is already accomplished with breast reduction.  Best Wishes!!

Breast lift and back pain

A breast lift will not improve your back pain. A breast reduction might. You have to be evaluated in person to determine if you are a candidate. Best of luck  with your decision to move forward.

Breast Reduction

Large breast tend to sag and droop over time. This can cause back and shoulder pain, which is one of the most common reasons why women look into having their breast reduced. When reducing the size, your plastic surgeon will be giving you the best anatomical positioning of your breast. This positioning is related to specific guidelines and measurements that are recommended by the board of plastic surgery, to provide the best look, as well as, having a more comfortable and pleasing outcome. In general a lift is part of the procedure adding to a more aesthetically pleasing breast position and shape. It is a personal decision to do this procedure before or after having children. Best of luck 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon