Which procedure should I undergo to get fuller lips? (Photo)

I have very thin lips and would love to get them to the Natalie Portman level of fullness however I don't know which procedure would be more suitable : fillers or implants? And if fillers are the better option then which kind? And is it even possible to get my lips that plump considering how thin they are. I am looking for something least fake looking, Thank you very much in advance.

Fuller Lips

Hi theselfconscioustype

Thanks for posting your question and for your photo's.

There are a few options, non surgical and surgical.

Lip fillers provide an effective temporary solution to help volumize your lips. Dermal filler injections add volume to the lips and typically last around 4-6 months. In some cases duration of the effects can be a bit shorter or longer. Do you have an event or special occasion that you want to look extra special for? Then Lip Fillers can leave you with the perfect pout in less than 15 minutes! It really is that simple.

Permalip™ are revolutionary lip implants that are designed to look and feel natural, yet enhance your lip volume to your desired size. It does not deflate, degrade or rupture over time. Although it’s permanent, it is designed for the ease of placement if a patient wishes to achieve a larger or smaller enhancement or even return to the lips original appearance. It does not limit lip movement and provides a natural look.

Have a good think and do your research.

Fuller Lips

Thanks for your question. You seem to be a good candidate for cosmetic fillers such as Juvederm. Another option is for fat transfer to the lips which is a more permanent solution. Please find and consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

German Newall, MD

Nonsurgical Lip Augmentation With Fillers Can Yield Natural-Looking Fuller Lips

From the photo, it would seem that you would indeed be a candidate for nonsurgical lip augmentation with fillers. Juvederm Ultra Plus XC is my preferred injectable for this purpose.

In frontal view, ideally the upper lip should comprise one-third the total volume of the entire two lips together. In profile view, the upper lip should extend about 1-2mm out beyond that of the lower lip and the latter should have a slight downward pout. 

In experienced hands, fuller, but natural-appearing lips can be achieved. So, be sure to seek consultation and treatment by a board certified aesthetic physician and ask to see his/her before and after photos before proceeding.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Three Options

To get fuller lips you have three options that I would offer you. The first would be to have you try HA dermal fillers. These are not permanent, but do last up to 8 months. This way, if you do not like your look of your lips being fuller it is easily reversible or you just wait out the time for the HA to break down naturally. 

My second option after that would be to do a fat transfer to the lips. This can be done under local numbing medication by suctioning a small but generous area to take the donated fat from then inject it into the lips. This procedure is the hardest to reverse as it might call for some removal of the fat cells that were placed. 

My third option to you would be to have implants placed. This can also be done under local numbing medication and it takes about 30 minutes to complete the procedure. Many of my staff have opted for this option as they no longer have to use as much dermal filler as they used to, if any at all, and it is easily reversible. If you do not like the look or  the size of the implant it can easily be removed or replaced with a different size. My patients almost always come back every 8 months or so to have their ventricle columns injected and their cupids bow to give them a more natural, but voluptuous look. 

Please visit an American Society of Board Certified Plastic Surgeons member who does the procedure by his or herself or has their RN injecting. This will ensure you the best results and the best care. If you are offered to have silicone injected into your lips stay away from this as well. The complications and appearance afterwards are not worth your time, health or money. 

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

This would require fillers or fat injections, I tend to avoid implants I don't like how they look much.  My suggestion is to start small (as lips swell a lot the more you add the first time) and then touch up as needed every 2-4 weeks.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Which procedure should I undergo to get fuller lips?

I recommend fillers - one of the hyaluronic acid products such as juvederm or restylane.  You appear to be an excellent candidate for this and should be able to get a nice result.  Hope that is helpful

Fuller lips = lip fillers

I think you  are an excellent candidate for fillers. I prefer Restylane Silk for this but Juvederm and Restylane are fine too. I would shy away from implants. There is a high complication rate and dissatisfaction rate. Cannulas can decrease the amount of bruising in some patients.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip augmentation with fillers

Thank you for your question. I would recommend lip enhancement with a hyaluronic acid injectable filler. They are generally predictable and effective. There are several different types of filler that can be used for lip enhancement. I would recommend an in person consultation with a highly experienced injector to determine your candidacy.  

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filler in lip

I prefer fillers because your lips may change with time and a permanent filler device may feel unnatural or move in the pocket and/or may be visible or palpable.

Lip Augmentation

I would recommend lip augmentation with Hyaluronic Acid, like Juvederm plus to see if you like the look. Another option is fat transfer which is more permanent. It is done under local anesthesia and fat is usually taken from the lower abdomen or thighs. Studies show that at least 1/3 of transferred fat last forever. Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, Good Luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD