Can I still get plastic surgery if I'm taking an immune suppressant?

I have been on and off cyclosporine and methotrexate for a few months due to severe facial eczema that doesn't respond to other methods. I am interested in getting liposuction or maybe a BBL, I haven't decided yet. Will I still be able to get the procedure if I am taking either methotrexate or cyclosporine? Also, I have had bad expirences with steroids, would these procedure require me to have to take prednisone or any other type of steroids for any reason?

Liposuction and BBL on immune suppressants

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and BBL.
  • I assume your eczema treatment is temporary - not a life time treatment.
  • If so, then  wait until your exzema clears and you are taken off these medicines.
  • Then have surgery.
  • As for steroids - they are often given by anesthesiologists during surgery
  • If you have any surgery, tell both the surgeon AND the anesthesiologist that you cannot have steroids and be sure they write this down in your record.
  • Even though it is not a true allergy, put "Steroids" under your allergies to be sure you avoid them.
  • They are powerful drugs and have many side-effects - they are best avoided unless necessary.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #BBL

Hi Heather, thank you for your excellent question. Without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. Best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

BBL, Plastic Surgery and Immune Suppressants: Please Wait

Please be patient and wait until your eczema clears and you discontinue the immune suppressants before getting your BBL. Steroids should be okay, but check with your physician. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer 

Immune Suppression and Breast Implants

The best time to get breast implants is when you have been off your immune suppression for a period of time, so be patient, complete the treatment of your skin issues and then consider your cosmetic surgery.I suggest you read the book "10% Human" to understand the connection between diet, the human biome (bacteria that lives in your system and affects your health), and the type of health problems you are currently experiencing.  Perhaps you can get better control of your skin so that you will not need immune suppressives at all.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon