Can I still get plastic surgery if I'm taking an immune suppressant?
Doctor Answers 4
Liposuction and BBL on immune suppressants
- I assume your eczema treatment is temporary - not a life time treatment.
- If so, then wait until your exzema clears and you are taken off these medicines.
- Then have surgery.
- As for steroids - they are often given by anesthesiologists during surgery
- If you have any surgery, tell both the surgeon AND the anesthesiologist that you cannot have steroids and be sure they write this down in your record.
- Even though it is not a true allergy, put "Steroids" under your allergies to be sure you avoid them.
- They are powerful drugs and have many side-effects - they are best avoided unless necessary.
#liposuction #plasticsurgery #BBL
Hi Heather, thank you for your excellent question. Without the benefit of knowing your full health history and an in person exam it's impossible to say for certain. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle. Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. Best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS CARE Plastic Surgery