I'm planning on receiving Restylane injections for my tear troughs soon and I was wondering how long will I bruise for after?

the doctor I'm using says he uses needles not a cannula but supposedly he's the best doctor in the area for the procedure and also besides arnica and bruisestick what could I use to lessen the bruising as I'm a man and cant be walking around wearing concealer and makeup

Post filler bruising

Best of luck with tear trough filler! It is one of my favorite procedures to do because it really gives a WOW factor immediately. I like cannulas, that being said, your doctor prefers needles.  Arnica and bromolein can help tremendously.  Avoid taking any aspirin/advil/motrin/fish oils/garlic pills/vitamin E for 7-10 days before your injections.  Ideally two weeks if you can.  Also, make sure to start icing right away if a bruise does start to form.  Your doc should be able to tell right away if any spot that is getting injected is at risk of bruising.  I hope some of this helps.

Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane injections into male tear troughs

Thank you for sharing your question. When performed properly, I find less bruising with a needle than a cannula and better placement of the filler. You can be proactive and discontinue blood thinners prior to the injections. You can use use a drop of cover up if there is a spec of discoloration.  Good luck,

Bruising after Filler

Good question! The tear trough area is prone to bruising and swelling, but we find it really depends on each individual patient. Honestly, I find men are less likely to bruise and when they do bruise its less severe, because the skin is not as thin or fragile. As started below, we recommend you discontinue any aspirin, ibuprofen and any vitamins or supplements for 5 days before injection and even a week if you want to be more cautious. Start arnica and bromelain tablets 2-3 days before the injection and continue until swelling and bruising is gone. Also, arnica topical gel after the injection. Refrain from aerobic activity 2-3 days after, as well as avoiding saunas, jacuzzi's or anything else that will cause a lot of vasodilation of the blood vessels. During and immediately after injection, ice often and sleep on back with head slightly elevated. These are little things that can help. With all that said, you most likely will have no bruising and will be able to get back to your normal routine immediately.Best of luck, Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Microcannula technique

Thank you for your question. When using the traditional sharp injecting technique, bruising is a potential risk. If a bruise does occur, it can take up to one week to resolve. Ways to minimize bruising include discontinuing blood thinners such as aspirin, ibuprofen, fish oil, etc., 7 days prior to injections. Some of my patients also like to take Arnica before/after injections to reduce swelling and bruising potential. It sounds like you have done your research on this topic, however, the microcannula technique is truly the best to avoid bruising. In my practice, I preform many under eye filler treatments each day and, with the microcannula, none of my patient have bruised. If you are concerned about bruising, it might be worth your while to consult with other board-certified physicians who are experienced with the microcannula technique. Best of luck with your treatment. 

Kian Karimi, MD, FACS

Restylane for tear troughs - how long is the bruising?

Thank you for asking about your Restylane for the tear troughs.
  • In my experience, both cannula and needles work fine.
  • The cannula is used if the filler is not going directly on the bone.
  • A needle is used if the injection is on the bone.
  • Bruising varies enormously - there may be none or it can be noticeable and last weeks.
  • If you cannot tolerate the risk of any bruising at all, think twice before having this done.
  • Or come up with an explanation you can live with if you bruise.
  • Although Arnica and bromlein are widely used and may work for some people - not most.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello, I have Restylane personally in my own tear troughs and I love it.  It looks natural, it lasts for at least 8 months or longer and I look much younger.  Bruising is a difficult issue.  Everybody can bruise, but only some people do.  If you tend to bruise when you bump your leg or arm, you should probably take oral Arnica that you can purchase from GNC or Whole Foods.  This should be taken at least 5 days before and then 5 days after the procedure.  You should numb topically at your doctors office prior to the procedure for at least 30 minutes to help vasoconstrict your blood vessels.  Please plan your procedure at a time where if you do bruise you can cover with make-up and it will not be the end of the world.  No red wine, aspirin, NSAIDS, fish oil or Motrin for at least 5 days prior and 5 days after the procedure.  Good luck, Dr. Downie

Jeanine B. Downie, MD
Montclair Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I suggest using cannulas for the tear trough area. Bruising can take a couple weeks to resolve. Pulsed dye laser can remove this much more quickly. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer

Bruising After Filler

The cannula reduces risk of bruising but it is always possible for bruising to occur with injectable filler. Bruises typically reside within one week but it does depend on the individual.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Bruising after tear trough injections

I find that injecting filler in most areas bruising is uncommon. But I tell patient in the tear trough around the eye. bruising is more common. This can last a few days to a week.  Make-up can cover it in many cases.

Under eye filler

Filler can be injected effective using either the direct or cannula technique.  Personally I find the cannula technique to produce smoother results with less or no bruising but an experienced doctor can certainly produce the same results using the direct needle technique.

Gregory Pistone, MD
Cherry Hill Dermatologist