Pain with ventral hernia repair with massive adhesions removed along with a "full tummy tuck" one month post-op?

I tend to have pain in the area where the ventral hernia was repaired especially in the afternoon or after walking a lot or doing small tasks. (no heavy lifting involved) Tylenol and Motrin do not help ease any of the pain.

Pain One Month Post-Op

Here are some of the basic points that I provide patients regarding the healing process after the tummy tuck:

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

This does not provide any resolution as to the pain you are feeling, and it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined to make sure that healing is progressing and check to see what may help stop the pain.

Pain of ventral hernia

If you have pain from a ventral hernia repair, you should talk to the general surgeon who I presume repaired this for you.