My mom had breast implants 20 years ago and her body rejected them. Does that mean my body will reject a chin implant?

I have a receding chin and am super insecure about the way I look. I've consulted with a few doctors about having the silicone chin implant and want one. However, my mom had breast implants about 20 yrs ago(for about 4 years) then had them removed because her body rejected them. Her breasts became hard and her implants would have burst if she didn't have them removed. I'm really scared that my body would reject the implant like my mom. Is this hereditary? Doctors - what do you doctors recommend?

my mom had breast implants 20 years ago and her body rejected them. Does that mean my body will reject a chin implant

A chin implant is composed of solid silicone which is inert versus liquid silicone breast implants. In our practice, we have used Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years and have never seen a rejection. For more information, diagrams of the implants, and many before-and-after examples from our practice, please see the link and the video below

Can my body reject a silicone chin implant if my Mom had issues with breast implants?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Silicone breast implants have silicone gel and are not solid silastic like chin implants.  Silastic facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants) are inert and very well tolerated.  There is no gel or liquid silicone to leak out of a chin implant.  Rejection of the chin implant is extremely unlikely.  I have not seen any incidence of this in over 30 years of placing silastic chin implants.

Hope this helps.

Will I Reject a Chin Implant?

HI and thanks for your question.  I don't think that you would have any problem with a silicone chin implant, but just to be sure that this is not an issue, I  use a chin implants made out of ePTFE which is the material used in Goretex.  This material has been used for body implants for many years and it is very well tolerated.  I use it because it is much softer then silicone and therefore doesn't cause bone erosion as silicone implants do.  I would be happy to see you for a consultation with computer imaging as my office is in the Main Line suburbs of Philly.  Good Luck.  Dr. Pontell

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon