Mini Tummy Tuck or Liposuction? (Photos)

I had a consult for a breast augmentation where I mentioned liposuction. I've had 2 children. My surgeon said I actually needed a mini tummy tuck-- which shocked me. Do I actually need a tummy tuck or can I get liposuction without tons of extra skin as a result? Or should I try to get thinner with exercise? Will I ever achieve a flat abdomen without a mini tummy tuck????? Advice appreciated!

Mini tummy tuck vs. liposuction

Your pictures don't seem to show any excess skin, so liposuction alone should improve the look.  However, if your surgeon felt that you abdominal muscles were a little loose, then your best bet would be the mini tummy tuck because that procedure involves (usually) tightening of the loose abdominal muscles, giving a more complete and younger look to the abdomen.

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck, not a mini. The abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be used to better define your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Tummy tuck/liposuction

Thank you for the pictures, I would recommend a full tummy tuck with muscle tightening and liposuction of all areas for a nice hourglass shape,consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

DrDerby

Thank you for your question and the photos.I would recommend the full tummy tuck if you want to combine it with liposuction as well. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck vs lipo

Dear NewYorker,

Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscles laxity from the chest bone to the pubic bone,  droopy non defined belly button and your imperfect posture strains your back due to the muscles laxity.

I have been in practice for over 29 years and I can tell you that lipo and mini tummy tuck will be an unhappy compromise. Full tummy tuck is your best option (unless you plan more pregnancies and in that case you can wait until no more children are planned) and it is one of the best investments in yourself (like the breasts augmentation). It will give you flat stomach, tight and youthful skin, nice belly button, narrower and well defined waists, improved posture and most likely you will lose weight due to the muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. It will also make shopping, lots of fun again...

I would not recommend to combine tummy tuck with breasts augmentation due to the significant increase of possible severe complication. In a recent  study , based on data fro cosmetic surgery insurance company, combining tummy tuck with other surgeries  , increases complication rate  2-3 times over tummy tuck alone. Cosmetic surgery is purely elective procedure and complication should be reduced to a minimum.  

Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Also , check the reviews on 'RearSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.     

Dr Widder 

Lipo with a mini tummy tuck

I would tend to agree.  Once you get lipo, the skin will be deflated and will most likely hang or appear lumpy, and might require a revision if not dealt with.  A mini is not that invasive and will simply give you some pull or traction on that loose skin, and allow for an abdominal transformation, rather than just doing some lipo, which alone would likely leed to issues as mentioned.  Plus, after 2 kids your muscles will be separated and repairing this will also help with your abdominal contour.  When appropriate, and it appears to be in your situation, I prefer to hit a homerun, so to speak, rather than just going for a slight improvement.  If I was to operate, I'd go for an abdominal makeover, or transformation.

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. This is difficult to know for sure just based on your photographs.  If your skin elasticity is good, then liposuction will work.  With any stretch marks, poor skin elasticity, or diastasis present, then a tummy tuck will be better.  The only way to know for sure is with an in-person full consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Liposuction candidate

If you have good thick skin elasticity in the area and the area is just fat then Liposuction should definitely address the problem. If there are stretch marks and loose skin, or separation of the underlying muscles that are causing the problem, a tummy tuck would be a better option. See a board certified plastic with an expertise in body contouring in your area for a detailed consultation. They should be able to answer your concerns more specifically. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! 

Dean Vistnes, MD 

Vistnes Plastic Surgery

San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #tummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction versus mini tummy tuck

Thank you for your posted question.  It is difficult to answer your question without a proper examination of your abdomen and the skin tone.  Liposuction is a reasonable option for people with a little excess fatty tissue but minimal skin laxity, yet a mini TT is a better option if the the skin is loose.  In the photograph your arms are elevated which will tend to tighten the skin on the abdomen and improve the contour.

Mini Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I  specialize in Brazilian Butt Lifts and Body Contouring procedures.

From your photos, you appear to be an excellent candidate for Vaser Hi definition liposculpture with fat grafting to the buttocks.  You should get a great result from liposculpture, giving you a more contoured and hourglass shape with better projection to your buttocks.

Vaser Hi Definition liposuction uses the concepts of negative and positive spaces in relation to the underlying bony and muscle anatomy to define areas such as your six pack and create an athletic looking physique.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon