Do I need a lift in addition to implants to achieve the result I desire? (photos)

I am 5'3, 120 lbs and want to be a full C. I have what seems to be mild tubular breasts. With release of the lower pole, would an augmentation alone be enough? Or would a periareolar lift be needed as well? I want my breasts to be round, full and perky like the wish photos I've attached. Which lift would be better for me? Periareola or lollipop lift?

Do I need a lift in addition to implants to achieve the result I desire?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue… Breast augmentation surgery increases or restores breast size using silicone gel implants, saline implants or in some cases, fat transfer. One of the most popular and frequently performed aesthetic surgery procedures, breast augmentation has a long and successful track record in satisfying women who wish to enhance, regain or restore balance to their figures. At the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Breast Reconstruction with implants

Thanks for submitting your photos.In my opinion you will benefit from an inframammarial insicion and a tubular breast reconstruction.For a full C cup 300-400 cc implants will be fine. You do not need a lifting procedure. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck...

Ozge Ergun, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

To Lift or Not to Lift

In order to achieve the look you wish, you would benefit from a breast lift.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  Based on these photographs, I do not think you need a lift.  Using a dual plane technique would give you a nice result.  The size of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for the question and good quality pictures. Yes, based on all photos posted, you will likely be better off undergoing breast lifting (probably circumareolar) as well as breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, you will do well spending additional time with your plastic surgeon communicating your goals, questions, and concerns. In other words, careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key. 
Generally speaking, patients undergoing this combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Breast lifting involves some removal of  breast skin envelope; there may be limits as to how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely.   
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:  1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.   2. Again, have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining which operation and/or breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "full C cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. The use of computer imaging may be very helpful during this communication phase. 
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery. The use of temporary intraoperative sizers with the patient in the upright position makes selection of the best breast implant size/profile relatively easy. 

I hope this, and the attached link, helps. You will find a separate page, on the same site, dedicated to breast surgery for patients with constricted breasts. Best wishes.  

Lift and implants

Yes, you will need a lift of the areola with implants, but your nipple areola complexes will not move significantly more to the central meridien of the breasts

Excellent information

You are not an easy augmentation due to your particular anatomy and the results you like are going to be hard to achieve due to your particular anatomy. I do think a circumvertical lift to raise the nipple and increase the nipple to fold distance is a good plan for you. Looking at pre and post op results of breasts like yours will be a great way for you to go. You certainly know what nice breasts look like and I wish you the best results possible so please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon