Follow-Up Question: Labiaplasty - 5 weeks post-op - will I need reconstructive surgery? (photos)

Wound breakdown (totally open on right side - still healing). Doc treated the site 2x w/ silver nitrate. Hard scar tissue forming. Regarding my previous concern, he didn't seem to "expose" the clitoris, but it seems the suture line is very close or almost attached to my clitoris. I already find this is an issue to shave (I hit the clitoris). Some tension/irritation while wiping. Will this shift into place as time goes by, or is a 2nd surgery inevitable? Any Phila area docs specialize in this?

Labiaplasty - 5 weeks post-op - will I need reconstructive surgery? (photos)

Thank you for posting your post operative photos with your question. It appears that your clitoris is still present and still has some coverage after an aggressive labiaplasty. The wound on the right side appears to be healing. Fortunately, that area has an excellent blood supply and heals well. You can ask for a prescription for Biafine cream,  which will accelerate the healing time. Swelling or inflammation is part of the healing process and is caused by water and inflammatory cells. This inflammatory process is increased when there is an open wound. Please allow this area to heal for a few months before considering a surgical revision. I recommend that you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who is experienced with labiaplasty and can examine you, discuss your concerns, discuss your best surgical option and help you decide, at that point in time,  if a surgical reconstruction is beneficial. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

6 weeks post op labiaplasty

Unfortunately you have had complete amputation of the labia minora and you still have excess lateral redundant prepuce.   Nothing will shift over time.  I have been performing labiaplasties for more than 20 years and most likely you will requires a second surgery in the future.  I don't know of anyone Philadelphia who does revision surgeries.  Pleas choose a surgeon with experience in botched or revision surgeries.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

John R. Miklos, MD, FPMRS, FACS
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Distortion

It is difficult to comment as I do not know what you looked like before your surgery but this will need to heal and afterward (at least six months afterward preferably) you can re-evaluate to determine whether or not things look pleasing. If not look into revision. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

You shouldn't be shaving 5 weeks after labiaplasty

Horrible aesthetics. The wound will heal from the inside out. Keep pressure and shaving away from the area until it's healed. There is nothing to do for six months if you still have issues.

Marco A. Pelosi III, MD
Jersey City OB/GYN

Follow-Up Question: Labiaplasty - 5 weeks post-op - will I need reconstructive surgery?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your healing complications after surgery.  I see your areas of concern and the most important first step is to have your tissues heal completely from your labiaplasty.  You had complete removal of both labia minora with the right side suffering an incision separation while the clitoral hood tissues were not addressed.  This has resulted in increased fullness to the tissues.  Your second tissue does show that the hole on the left side is very close to your clitoris but i do not think it is attached to your remaining clitoral hood/labia minora tissue.  I would wait a full six months from your surgery, you should be fully healed by then, and then see a labiaplasty specialist for a revision procedure.  Best wishes.