Will a labiaplasty of the labia minora reduce the size of the majora as well?

I was told that by reducing the size of the minora, that the Majora would fill in and become smaller. Is this true, or would I also need a labia Majora surgery as well?

Labiaplasty and labia majora

Hello,Labia minora plasty will not change the size of the labia majora. These two procedures can be combined or performed alone. It's best to consult with an experienced surgeon to evaluate your goals and anatomy and to provide  specific recommendations. Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                        Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty minora will do nothing to change the appearance of your labia majora.  Please submit a pic also for a more detailed answer and to asses if you need a labiaplasty majora as well.thanks and good luck.

Candidate for a Labiaplasty

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.
  •  Tweet

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question.  A labiaplasty of the labia minora will not affect the size of the labia majora.  If you desire reduction in size of labia majora then that should be considered and not a labiaplasty of the labia minora.  If you want both to be reduced in size then you would require both surgeries.  I would recommend getting a consultation by an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that involves traveling in order to discuss your desires and evaluate your current anatomy.  I hope that this answers your question.   Best of luck.    

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty for Minor and Majora

There are different options to the labiaplasty procedure, and I make sure to present all of them to my patients when considering the best one to reach desired results. #Labialplasty is probably the most common of the Vaginal Enhancement procedures. A candidate for a Labiaplasty procedure is concerned about the appearance of her labia or she may experience pain and discomfort from large, long or uneven labia; usually of the inner lips or labia minora.  This may result in chronic rubbing, which leads to difficulty in wearing tight clothing , such as leggings; tight shorts and bathing suits can reveal a “Camel Toe”  which can be corrected with treatment. Enlarged or uneven labia may have a significant psychological impact and severely affect normal sexual relations.  Many women live with this problem unaware that there are treatments available to help them.  Non-surgical treatments with Thermiva radiofrequency can reduce the labia for some patients.  Surgery is the most common treatment and this problem can usually be corrected in under one hour with a local anaesthetic. Many women feel more comfortable and relaxed with a quick twilight or general anaesthetic. Each procedure is customized to the physical findings as well as the desired goals of the patient. Some procedures may include treatment of the clitoris or clitoral hood to further enhance this region.  The “trim procedure” is a straight incision along the edge of the labia to reduce excess tissue.  A “wedge” is the removal of a triangular shaped part of the labia with the remaining parts placed together to look completely normal. There are “modified wedges” and Barbie Doll procedures  as well as other varieties of treatment.  The Barbie Doll reduces much of the Labia Minora so that it is not visible beyond the Labia Majora.  There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life.

Labiaplasty of the minora and/or majora

Labiaplasty of the inner lips (minora) will not magically shrink the size or bulk of the outter lips (majora). Please read on for more legitimate surgical details:Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Will labiaplasty (labia minora) effect the size & consistency of the labia minora? No!

Whomever told you that is dead wrong, or you heard incorrectly. The only effect that labiaplasty of the minora has on the majorsa is occasional transient discoloration and swelling of the majora in the week after labiaplasty of the minora or, if your surgery is performed by a general Gyne not specifically trained in labiapasty, sometimes the labia minora is inadvertantly sewn to and fused with the majora (aka "botched labiaplasty..!) The only way to evaluate what you wish in the way of aesthetic outcome is an in-person or "virtual" (via photos) evaluation by a skilled female genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon
"Anatomy Basics" are reviewed in the Weblink attached. Best wishes,
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Not correct.

The labia major and labia minora have no impact on each other. Because the minora are very soft a pliable, they are the areas most commonly involved as being loose with the extra tissue needing reduction or removal with a labiaplasty. The majora are more of the pubic soft tissues that can sometimes be fatty or droopy,m and also require reduction, tightening, or contouring. Operating on the minora will little or no impact not eh majora, and vice versa. 
My advice to you is to seek the opinion of an experienced board certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you and listen to your concerns, and devise an appropriate recommended treatment plan. Best of luck to you. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Labia minora & majora reduction

Thank you for your question. I would recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in labiaplasty for optimal results. Reducing the labia minora will not change the size of the labia majora. To do so you would need examined to determine whether you have excess skin, fat or both and then excise the excess fat and/or skin. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labia minora reduction has no effect on the labia majora

The labia minora offers no structural support to the labia majora and reducing the minora will leave the majora looking exactly the same. Conversely, augmenting the volume of the labia majora can sometimes obscure the visibility of the labia minora. This is sometimes done as an alternative to labia minora reduction, but it has limited utility because only slightly enlarged labia minora can be hidden without creating oversized labia majora. If you want both areas addressed, then email me a photo, we'll discuss further by phone. Travel to the NYC area is obviously unbeatably simple from Philly.