I am getting top surgery the end of the month. I want to know if I should only use doctors who specialize in FTM?

My surgeon is from UPENN. She is the Associate Director, Cosmetic Surgery Director, Basic Science Research, Plastic Surgery Medical Director, Skin Care Program Assistant Professor of Surgery
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

FTM TOP Surgery

hi lilrocker24,
Thanks for the post. First off, congratulations on your transition. There are a lot of factors to consider when selection a surgeon. Experience and quality of results in the procedure you are having is the most important. Other factors include location, cost, and your overall "gut feeling."  Obviously the more procedures a surgeon performs, the more adept they become and the more reproducible the results. This is true in any profession. If you feel comfortable with your surgeon and they have experience in this procedure then you are likely making the right decision.

Sincerely,
Dr. Dadvand

Top surgery

It is important for you to feel comfortable with your surgeon.  It is ok to ask them how many of these procedures they have performed, as well as to ask them to show you photographs of their results.  

Josef Hadeed, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question!  Typically, top surgery for female to male transitions are procedures that are taught while in residency.  Meaning, general plastic surgery principals are used to perform the operation.  That being said, some surgeons may or may not feel comfortable, unfortunately, taking care of transgender patients.  The physicians who do work with transgender people become more and more proficient with this type of procedure and most likely end up with improved results compared to physicians who periodically perform top surgery.  This is similar to any procedures aesthetic surgeons complete.  So, to answer your question, not necessarily do you need to seek a doctor who specializes in FTM top surgery.  It would be good to know how many procedures the MD has performed though and look at some of their results.  Also, working with a board certified Plastic and Reconstructive surgeon would be optimal.  

Hope this helps!

Should I go to a TOP-specialized surgeon?

The surgeon that you have selected appears to be very well qualified, though you may choose to ask her what her specific experience is performing TOP surgery. I have learned many fine points about this surgery that I would not have known without the experience of 100s of cases.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD