I believe I have extra skin down there can you tell me what it is? What should I do? (Photos)

I believe I have extra skin down there can you tell me what it is? What should I do?

Thank you for your question. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are very enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size. It is a simple procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. The cost varies depending on your location and the surgeon

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

#labiaplasty #plasticsurgery

Hello dyeema, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Labiaplasty

Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals, or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. More specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.

What Is the Extra Skin of the Vulvovaginal Area?

See your gynecologist and ask, since your question is nonspecific. Within the vagina, hymen remnants can sometimes be visible. They appear like pink tabs just inside the vagina. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

thank you for your questionIf you feel uncomfortable having large protruberant vaginal lips labiaplasty may be an option for you. Labiaplasty is a procedure that reduces the size of your vaginal lips. Holding of the clitoris can also be reduced at the same time. My patients tell me that pain is negligible after surgery. They are more confident wearing bikinis, shorts and tight pants. I hope you find this information helpful.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Extra skin down there

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Extra skin

Thank you for your question and photographs.Without knowing exactly what it is that you are unhappy with, it is hard to give my best recommendations but from what I can see there is nothing abnormal about your anatomy. If you are unhappy with the excess skin of your labia minora, this can be corrected with a labiaplasty to remove that excess tissue. It is a simple procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia.
Best of luck.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Schedule a consultation with an expert cosmetic gynecologist

Your question is vague and your photos don't point to anything specific. I see normal anatomy and would require you to show me exactly what your goals are before I could offer you any of the various options available to reshape and remodel specific areas of your vagina. You need a consultation.

Thank you for your question.  Extra skin at the labia minora can be treated effectively with a labiaplasty procedure.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

I believe I have extra skin down there, can you tell me what it is, what I should do?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photographs.  The extra bit of tissue alone the bottom portion of your photograph is a remnant of your hymenal ring and is normal in most women. If it bothers you it can be removed with a small in-office procedure. Excess skin to your labia minora is best treated with a labiaplasty procedure.  See a labiaplasty surgeon for an in-person evaluation and discussion of treatment options.