I want to get a BBL. I would like to be pain free for my birthday (12/31). When should I get or should have gotten the surgery?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... a month before that date is enough, you will have some discomfort, but it will be better for you than not do it..

When is the best time for surgery...

The best thing to do is to get the surgery as soon as possible because everyone does heal differently. However, if you wanted to wait, I would do it at least a month ahead of your birthday to be pain free. 

Every patient heals slightly differently but for the most part, you should be pain free after about 3-4 weeks. At this point in your recovery you will be able to sit directly on your buttocks and most of the significant swelling and/or bruising will have begun to resolve. I would recommend having it performed no later than the beginning of November. This gives you ample time to recover and address any complications if they arise. Best of luck in your endeavors. 

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

recovery questions for Brazilian butt lift

Brazilian butt lift patients must stay off the backside for three weeks postoperatively. They can sit to go to the bathroom but other than this it is advisable not to put any weight on the buttocks. Usually by 4 to 5 weeks there is no pain. So if you wanted to have a pain-free New Year's Eve, I would recommend that you have Brazilian butt lift sometime in October or November. Hope this helps!

Most patients can go back to routine activities soon after surgery.  Most do not have too much discomfort after a week or so.  You are probably better off getting it done sooner than later.

BBL Recovery

I would recommend that you get the procedure as early as possible before your big event to give yourself the maximal time to recover before your big day. 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

When Will I Be Pain-Free After Brazilian Butt Lift

While pain is a big consideration after a  Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL), being able to sit on your buttocks at your birthday party should also be a consideration. Six weeks would be the MINIMUM amount of time to give yourself. To be safe, give yourself at least two months prior to your birthday. The more time you give yourself the better. Most of your discomfort will be from the liposuction aspect of your procedure, not the BBL. Best of luck! 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Brazilian butt lift

Hello and thank you for the question. 

The Brazilian butt lift has become one of the most popular procedures today. The procedure is a combination of liposuction and fat transfer. The surgery is done under full anesthesia, and takes about 2+ hours to complete. Most patients will need a week off of work and about a month before you resume exercise. 

The success depends on your underlying health, available fat, skin tightness and elasticity, and the size / shape of your buttocks. Remember that some of the fat that is transferred does not survive. Typically about 70% of the fat lasts long term. 

Most patients will need about a month to feel well enough to attend social events, so if you are planning on a birthday party in December, you should consider having the surgery in November or earlier. The more time you give, the better healed you will be. 

You should seek consultations with several board certified plastic surgeons in your area before making any final decisions.

As always it is best to be healthy, no smoking, and to make sure any health care concerns you have are managed by your primary care doctor.

Best to you

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Butt lift for birthday

The amount of discomfort you experience after a BBL depends on a number of factors, including your own pain tolerance. In my experience, most patients feel well enough to participate in social activities after a week to ten days. But it does vary. Hope you get to celebrate your birthday with an improved butt! 

Neal Handel, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

The fat transfer part does not cause a lot of pain, but the liposuction does. You need about 6 weeks to really feel good after the surgery. This means that you still have time! :)