Will I still feel the same after surgery?

I've been contemplating breast augmentation for a while now and my latest concern is that I won't be able to play with my kids the same way. I don't plan on going huge. Just...will they always be sensitive? Will I be afraid of damage if they jump on me wrong or hug me too tight? Will it not feel natural when they cuddle with me or if I hold them? ....just today's thoughts....I go back and forth so much.

Breast Augmentation - Will I still feel the same after surgery?

If you are like the overwhelming majority of women who are happy with the results of their breast augmentation, your breasts/implants should be soft, natural feeling and natural in their movement.  Sensation changes are not unusual in the short-term but are almost always temporary.  Modern breast implants have extremely high strength tolerances and would be very unlikely to become damaged unless subjected to a severe and dangerous force, as in a bad car accident or a big fall.

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Will I still feel the same after breast augmentation surgery?

Thank you for your question.  Certainly for the first 4-6 weeks after breast augmentation urine body will be adjusting to the breast implants and you will need to be careful not to interfere with the healing process by excessive physical activity and pressure on your breast.  However in time the implants become, "part of your body" and you're able to proceed with the life normally as before breast implants.  This is the experience of most patients who have  uncomplicated breast augmentation.

Will you still feel the same after surgery?

Immediately following the procedure, you will be sore and sensitive.  It may not be as comfortable for your kids to jump on your or hug you tightly.  With time, those feelings will subside.  The vast majority of my patients no longer even think about their implants once they've had them for so long.  They just become part of you and your day-to-day life.  Best of luck!

Back to normal

You should be back to normal after everything is healed.Here is some information to help guide you:The most sophisticated approach to breast augmentation is through the armpit with a surgical camera (transaxillary endoscopic). Using this modern approach the space can be crafted under direct vision, with virtually no bleeding and no postoperative bruising. Most importantly, the shape of the breast is meticulously created. The other, older methods of insertion are technologically less advanced. Both silicone and saline implants can be placed through the armpit by a surgeon with skill and experience using this approach. The incision in the crease is the oldest method of placing the implants and puts a scar directly on the breast. A round implant would be a better choice because they move more like breasts. The anatomic implants have a textured surface which makes them feel very unnatural. In addition, there is no benefit to anatomical. There is an X-Ray study that shows the implants from the side at 6 months. Standing, the round and the antomical implants have the same profile. When you lie down however, the anatomical implants do not change, which is unnatural. A round implant will change when you lie down, like a natural breast would. HP implants, which are a more modern shape than moderate profile implants, fit most women better. They have a more appropriate base diameter and can be made to look very natural or very augmented, depending on where in the range the implants are filled to achieve a particular volume. High profile implants are the first choice in my opinion. I rarely find an indication to use moderate or moderate plus implants. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of volume, and where in the range the implant is filled. There are many advantages to sub muscular dual plane placement and very many disadvantages to sub glandular placement.  I would see no indication to do anything but sub muscular dual plane.  Subglandular silicone implant placement is the historical approach to this surgery, and was widely used in the 1960's.  The implant edges are more visible, the risk of rippling is higher, the implant is in contact with the non-sterile breast tissue so the risk of infection and capsular contracture is higher.  The interface between the breast tissue and the muscle is blurred so the implant interferes with mammography more than sub muscular placement.  The blood supply surrounding the implant is worse so the risk of capsular contracture is higher.  The support for the implant is less so there is more long term shape abnormalities and sagging.  The look of a sub glandular implant is much less appealing than a sub muscular implant.  The placement of sub glandular implants makes any subsequent revision surgeries more complicated and less successful.  There are no advantages to sub glandular implant placement. The choice between saline and silicone is one that requires a complex discussion of all of the advantages and disadvantages of both implants. The issues to be considered are safety, density, mobility, rippling, rupture rate, consequences of rupture, detection of rupture, need for follow-up care, cost of follow-up, appearance, feel, sensation of heaviness, radio-density, mammograms, and costs, among other things. There are advantages and disadvantages of both products. The decision will ultimately be up to you based on what is appropriate for your particular situation. Beautiful results can be obtained with either implant. The best way to determine the size that fits your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers. Measuring a diameter and then telling the patient what volume they can have (in high, moderate or moderate plus implants) in my mind is backwards. The patients should be allowed to choose the volume. Then the surgeon carefully considers the base diameter, projection, profile, manufacturer, and fill material that will achieve the patients goals of size as well as qualitative look (natural, intermediate, or bold upper pole fullness or projection), all the while taking into consideration the patient's anatomic features that will affect the outcome. The experience of the surgeon and the degree to which they explain the options to you is of utmost importance. The subtlety in the final outcome is not achieved by which profile implant is used, it is determined by the skill in the creation of the pocket, the choice of implant. Don't let the doctor tell you what would look good on you. They cannot tell what you perceive to be the best size. There is no maximum. That is up to you.

Kids and Breast Implants

I commend you for looking through all aspects of your life while you are contemplating this procedure. It is a change to your body and working through all of these questions now will only help you feel more comfortable with your final decision. As far as your direct questions:
  1. Your breasts will be sore for a few weeks following the surgery. I advise my patients to refrain from extreme physical exertion for 4-6 weeks. This allows time for the muscle to relax and the wound to heal.
  2. During this healing period you will need to be more cautious than usual with your children jumping into your arms or being physical with you. After your breasts are completely healed, this won't be a concern and you should feel very natural hugging and holding them. 
  3. As far as size, consider visiting a board certified plastic surgeon that offers 3D Imaging at his or her office. My patients have found that to be very helpful when deciding on implant size.
Good luck!

Breast augmentation - what about feeling after surgery?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • It is natural to worry about these things but you need not do so.
  • Your breasts may be sensitive for about 6 weeks, but that sensitivity fades away.
  • Your children will not damage your implants - although they should not be jumping on your chest for the first six weeks - it will hurt!
  • Your implants should feel natural to you and your children.
  • Hope this helps!
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Contemplating breast augmentation

Good questions and thank you.  Breast augmentation is a wonderful procedure for a woman wishing to increase breast size.  Sensitivity following surgery is individual but most likely to subside completely with time.  Damaging an implant simply by playing with your children would not be a concern.  I wish you good luck with your decision. 

Surgery concerns

Breast augmentation has a relatively short recovery period.  You will be back to enjoying your children and other activities quickly.  Especially since you mentioned that you are leaning towards a conservatively sized implant, you should have no issues returning to your regular activities once healed.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast augmentation and family time

Having a breast augmentation will not prevent you from being around your children or playing with them. In my practice, if the implants are placed under the muscle I instruct my patients to not lift anything heavier than 10 pounds for 6 weeks. If placed above the muscle, then 3 weeks. After this time, playing with children will not result in damage to the implants, As far as sensitivity is concerned, most patient have numbness of the areola or breast skin that may feel numb. Some patients experience hypersensitivity, but this too improves with time and is typically not permanent. I recommend being seen by a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and thoroughly go over all your concerns.Best wishes,Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and activity

Once you are completely healed, you can go back to all activities.  Make sure you get the OK from your doctor before you do so.