What can I do to fade redness from a burn?

I had several laser hair removal sessions on my scalp. I've noticed that I have a large salmon patch on the back of my head. In addition I have what I believe are two burn marks from the laser. I had a few IPL treatments in an attempt to get rid of all the redness. The salmon patch responded excellently, the burn marks not at all. I am extremely pale so its not a hyperpigmentaion issue, just redness. Is there anything I can do to fade this redness faster?

Contact your provider

If you had a burn from a laser procedure it is important that you reach out to your provider right away and get adequate treatment for your burn to avoid further complications. Good luck! 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Redness Resolution with lasers (pulsed dye, Excel V)

I recommend getting a formal consultation with an expert in lasers. This can be improved with pulsed-dye V-Beam or Excel V lasers and microneedling/prp. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

How can I fade redness?

Hello, thank you for your question.  One of the devices that specifically targets vascular (blood/redness) is the V-Beam.  It is a laser, it is much more powerful than an IPL device for treating vascular issues.  You can check in your area to see if this device is available. It is manufactured by Syneron/Candela and you can go on their website to "find a provider"

Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Burn marks on scalp

Without pictures it is difficult to let you know how these bothersome areas can be treated. If the burn marks are recent (1-2 weeks) they may fade on their own. If they have been there for longer, sometimes a topical bleaching cream can lighten their appearance. You should definitely let your provider know that these areas are bothering you and ask them to provide you a with treatment options. 

Adaeze Okeke, MD
Houston Physician

Improving redness - Vascular laser

I would try a vascular laser such as Excel V or VBeam laser. I don't know exactly what the areas look like but other therapy might be needed such as topical steroids.

Steven F. Weiner, MD