In 2003, I received fat injections into my tear troughs. Been lumpy since; I need to find a doctor to help?

In 2003, I received fat injections into my tear troughs. It didn't go well. Im lumpy there and have always been lumpy from the day after surgery! Doctors at first said WAIT.So I did. I then re-visted doctors in Ny and Pa in 2010 for help . They all pushed me away because they didn't want to touch me. I need real help and a solution with someone who has successfully dealt with a situation like mine. I will fly anywhere if it fixes what I see.It has effected me for 13 years. I want to start life

Evening out Bumpy Fat Under Eyes

The best way to even out bumpy fat under the eyes, Is to heat the fat with an ND:YAG laser.  There are several commercial variations of the 1064nm Nd:YAG laser available.  We have quite a range of these devices to use in our practice and we tailor the treatment device to the specific problem.

Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Fat Transfer, Final Results? TEMPLES / FACE / EYES

Lumps and bumps after fat transfer should be evaluated, this may need surgical revision for improvement. RF treatments can help. Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumpiness after Fat Grafting to the Tear Troughs

Without an exam or, at least, a picture is is impossible to discuss what you need. There are 2 options. First, you could have had the tear troughs corrected but gotten lumps in the area. If this is the case, the treatment is to remove the lumps which are areas of scar within the grafted area where some of the fat died but was not absorbed. The second and most likely option is that a lot of the fat resorbed and left lumpiness where it did not resorb. If this is the case, you should still have a tear trough. Treatment, therefore, is further fat graft to fill in between the lumps and to completely correct the tear trough. Make sure you see a plastic surgeon with significant experience in fat grafting and facial rejuvenation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

Fat transfer to the tear trough area can result in lumpiness.

The causes of the lumpiness can be many. The lumpiness could be due to inflammatory response, or fat necrosis, cysts, or too much fat deposited in one area.

Treatment is direct excision. However the unknown in this surgery is to determine where those fat lumps are? Above the muscle? below the muscle. That can only be determined during the surgery.

Areas of depression where the lumps are removed can happen requiring the need for further repair either during the surgery or after.

This requires expertise in lower lid blepharoplasty techniques

Removal of grafted fat

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your bad experience.  I have seen this before and have successfully treated it with removal of the grafted fat via a transconjunctival approach. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Lumpy lower lids

Fat injection into this region as you obviously experienced can be lumpy as a complication. treatment often requires direct excision of the material.