What is the difference between Botox and Xeomin for spasms?

It looks like the treatment of Xeomin will be available but not Botox. I've gotten 3 opinions for Botox.

Botox versus Xeomin

Thank you for your question Russell Dawson. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. It can also be used for spasms. Other neuromodulators include Dysport and Xeomin, which have slightly different chemical properties but achieve similar results. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Botox v. Xeomin

Botox and Xeomin have some differences at the biochemical level (ie, Xeomin can be thought of as a more "pure" product with no complexing proteins). However, in experienced hands, you should be able to get excellent results with either product and your spasms should improve.

Kenneth E. Morgenstern, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox or Xeomin for spasms

Both Botox and Xeomin work well for spasms.  Xeomin is much less expensive for this indication but Botox probably works better.  Best, Dr. Green

Xeomin is available but not Botox

• Xeomin is made in Ireland and is cheaper than Botox.
  • I have found Botox more reliable - probably because in the USA it is not subject to delays at entry ports.
  • Whatever the reason, insurance will often only approve Xeomin because of the lower cost.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Botox vs Xeomin

Good question, Easy answer. No real difference. Botox is essentially the gold standard and has been around for decades. Xeomin  can be considered a generic form of Botox. Both help to weak/partial paralysis of muscles involved in muscle spasms.  Hope you get some relief from the spasms.  Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs. xeomin

Hi.  Botox and Xeomin  are very closely related medications that cause temporary relaxation of muscles.  I tell patients that it is like Coke and Pepsi.  They are slightly different versions of the same basic medication.

Jonathan Pontell, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs. Dysport vs. Xeomin

Neuromodulators (#Botox, #Dysport, #Xeomin) work to modify the strength of a muscle by "modulating" the nerve sending the impulse to the muscle.  There are three major neuromodulators in the United States at this time -- Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin.  The amount needed to produce an equal effect is dependent on the brand of #neuromodulator being used.  In experienced hands, they are all equally effective and safe.  

Please find an experienced dermatologist, plastic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, or neurologist to treat your muscle spasms. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Bellaire Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello Russell Dawson,

They are essentially the same product, just from different companies (think Samsung and Sony).  They are both neuromodulators designed to weaken the muscles that are injected.  Dysport is also in the same group and works the same but from a third company. 

I hope that helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs xeomin

Thank you for your question both products are great to weaken muscles and reduce spasms. More important than the product, is the technique used. I would make sure that you go to an experience specialist in your area.