Just out of curiosity, in general what type of muscle relaxers are prescribed post BA?

I see Valium is commonly prescribed but what other types of muscle relaxers are used post breast augmentation?

Muscle Relaxers

I usually prescribe cyclobenzoprine for a  week after surgery.  This helps with the sensation of pressure.  

I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Medications after surgery

Valium is not a muscle relaxer, it is a Benzodiazepine.  It is used more for the anxiety and helps your whole body to relax, it is very effective for post operative discomfort. The muscle relaxers used after surgery will depend completely on surgeon preference. Flexeril and Robaxin work very well for short course treatments, not very sedating and low potential for abuse. Again, this will depend on your surgeon.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

What muscle relaxers are prescribed after breast augmentation

Valium is commonly used and it is also what I prescribe for my patients post breast augmentation. If you have a preference or are interested in an alternative, you should check with your surgeon. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Muscle Relaxants

Thanks for asking. In my practice I typically prescribe Valium for my patients. If a patient cannot take Valium I will prescribe something else according to their needs. I hope this helps.

Muscle realaxant.

I prefer Flexeril. Valium and narcotics pain pills may have more side effects. Soma has a tendency to be addictive. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Muscle relaxers after breast augmentation

Instead of Valium, I prescribe Skelaxin or Flexeril to relieve muscle spasm and tightness post op. This usually helps a great deal.

Just out of curiosity, in general what type of muscle relaxers are prescribed post BA

This is something that is physician specific. Valium is often used to treat anxiety pre surgery. Different surgeons have different standard medications that they prescribe. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Post Op Pain Management

Each Plastic Surgeon will have their own preferred post op medication protocols. I prescribe my patients Percocet to be taken as needed, though many find they do not need this narcotic option and will take Tylenol instead. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon what they recommend for you and share any concerns or preferences with them.

All the best

Surgeon preference

The type and if a muscle relaxant is prescribed after breast augmentation is surgeon preference and based on your medication history.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS