Compression garment post op tummy tuck? (Photo)

I'm 4 months post op tummy tuck. How long would you recommend wearing any type of compression garment I.E. spanx, abdominal binders, corsets? I feel they make me more swollen once I take them off from having them on for hours. I don't see my doc again until Jan. Tx!

Compression Garments after a tummy tuck

In my practice the recovery period is as essential as the surgery itself. I prefer to use compression garments following liposuctions and tummy tucks. I feel these garments can support the skin and decrease the amount of swelling post-operative. However there are many opinions on this and you should definitely discuss this with your surgeon. If you are not scheduled to see your doctor until January, give the office a call, many times questions like these can be answered over the phone. 

Compression garment

I usually have patients wear a garment for 3-6 weeks. Some surgeons do not even have their patients wear garments.

4 months post op. some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (4months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If  after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Compression garment post op tummy tuck?

Most patient do well wearing a compression garment the first 6-8 weeks after surgery. If you still find it comfortable, you can continue to wear it but you may also want to start weaning yourself off of it. You may swell immediately afterwards because your body is used to it but this should resolve within a couple of weeks. Remember that it's normal to have swelling after a TT for at least 6 months and in some cases, even a year. Good luck!

Compression garment

Thank you for your question. For my patients I typically have them wear a compression garment for approximately 4 weeks after surgery to reduce swelling. Each patient is different so be sure to talk with your surgeon on what their post-op instructions are as far as the compression garment goes.

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Garment Duration After Tummy Tuck

The length of time you wear your garment will depend on your plastic surgeon's specific recommendation. Most will have you wear it for a minimum of six weeks. You may want to try weaning off yourself from the garment as your body is used to having it on 24/7. You'll likely see that the swelling will stabilize within a week or two. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Tummy tuck garment

It is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon because every surgeon has a slightly different aftercare protocol. If you are unclear of their instructions then I would ask them to clarify and be specific. I recommend keeping the compression garment on for at least 4-6 weeks for optimal results and swelling reduction. You can continue to wear the compression garment or spanx for longer if you find it comfortable and supportive. Best of luck in your recovery. 
Sincerely,
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Compression garments after tummy tuck

Thank you for the question.   While there is no definitive answer, most of us recommend 4-6 weeks of compression following tummy tuck procedures.   Afterwards, some patients may continue to wear them if they feel that the compression gives additional support and comfort.  Otherwise, they are usually OK to discontinue.  Ask your plastic surgeon for his/her advice. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

When to remove compression garments.

Compression garments help to diminish swelling above the scar that occurs the first few months after a tummy tuck. At about 12 weeks I have my patients do a test. I ask them not to wear the garment for a day. If, at the end of the day they are puffier above the scar, then the garment is still helping. If they see no difference at the end of a day then the garment is no longer necessary. our surgeon may have a different regimen, so check in with the office to be sure.

Hope this helps.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon