Should I be bruised/swollen 11 days after my procedure ?

I'm getting restylane injected in the tear trough area of my face and had some days off saved up from my job I just wanted to know if I needed to use all of them to avoid looking like I got in a bar fight on the job or would a week off suffice ?

Everyone is different

Great question! Each patient is a little bit different so swelling and bruising times may vary. Most patients are able to cover up any bruising by 1 weeks post procedure. That being said, if you have a special event or something else you are trying to get ready for I would allow at least 2 weeks for all the bruising and swelling to go down before the big day. Best luck!

Bruising and swelling is possible with Restylane injections

HA products such as Restylane are hydrophilic (water loving) and absorb water during the first 48 hours so there is often an appearance of tissue swelling, which is actually the product taking in water.  Using Benadryl at night for the first 2 nights can sometimes help diminish this effect a bit but it will go away within several days.  Bruising is possible too given a very delicate nature of the under eye skin but it is usually resolves within a week.  Also, taking Arnica and Bromelain prior to your procedure might reduce the risk of extensive bruising.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising after Restylane

Hi ~ Restylane injections into the tear troughs will lead to swelling and bruising that should be mostly resolved by 7-10 days. Many women can cover the bruising up with make up by one week. A week should give you enough time for recovery and no one will know. Thank you for your question.

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Time off

bruising can be covered but some patients will get some swelling that lasts for a few days.  Friday is the best day to be filled as by Monday the swelling should be much better.  Occasionally a patient will get significant bruising but this is very rare.  Best of luck!

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Filler and bruising

Many patients that have tear trough filler placed get bruising. Often the bruising  can be covered by make-up..

Swelling after Restylane

My staff and my wife all go to work the following day. Have your procedure on a Friday if that is your concern. Any bruising can be covered with makeup and save your days off for something pleasant!