Is it possible to have a breast reduction from a size 42 DD to a 36 B or C?

Find the right surgeon to help you!

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another. 
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a consult.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly. The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival. 

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. This careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “full B or small C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs.

I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

Breast reduction bra size change

Thank you for your question.Typically the numerical value will change very little with a breast reduction as this represents your chest circumference.  In my practice I ask what a patient desires to achieve with a cup size but never promise a specific cup size after surgery. I instead focus on achieving balance of the breasts to the patient's frame and overall body habitus.  I suggest you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and look at some former patient's results with your height and weight and breast size to get an idea what to expect.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Breast reduction sizing

Reduction will not alter the circumference of your torso.  Reducing from DD to C is standard. However, too aggressive a reduction may result in complications in terms of the viability of the flaps.  Bra sizing is so inconsistent that it is more important to visit your plastic surgeon and be able to present visual representations of your goal sizing. Best wishes.

Breast reduction

It might be possible for you to have a breast reduction and reduce them significantly, but if you start out pretty large and want to be very small, you may compromise both shape and possible adequate blood supply to the tissues.  Best to be evaluated in person. Good luck.