For me, can getting a breast lift cause me to loose nipple sensitivity and would I end up with a scar?

I am 24 yrs old and a C-cup. Around 5 foot 4in. About 112 pounds. My breast never grew in perky and I wanted to get a breast lift because of this. They are not pendulous, the nipples still face the front even though they are a little uneven. One boob also sits a little higher than the other. I have never had children. My case is not that extreme, but I can't get away without wearing a bra.

Breast Lift

Without photos it is impossible to determine if you are a candidate for breast lift surgery.  The risk is low, and can take weeks to months for the nipple sensation to return.

Breast lift

photos would be helpful to ascertain whether your asymmetry is within normal limits or requires correction. There is no surgery without scars. Some plastic surgeons hype "scarless" procedures but it's simply not true.  Many scars fade to fine lines over time and become barely, if at all, visible, but we should be honest with our patients, as board certified plastic surgeons.  Mastopexy  rarely results in loss of nipple sensation but that is a risk that must be included in the informed consent. 

Do I need a breast lift

As other  doctors have commented it is impossible to fully answer your question without photos. However based on your description it does sound like you have breast ptosis. This can be corrected with a lift or with the lift plus augmentation  .There are essentially three types of lipids: small medium and large. Another description is circular, lollipop and Anchor scar,Without photos or measurements it is not possible to tell which of those you are a candidate for. All breast lifrs leave scars. The scars go from red to pink to white over the course of about one year. Many scars fade to where they are very inconspicuous but they never disappear. 

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Your nipple sensitivity will depend on a number of factors including which type of breast lift, among others.  However, if you do get loss of sensitivity, it will likely return over weeks to months.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon 

Breast Lift

thank you for your question.  It is impossible to determine what is the right procedure for you without an in person examination and consultation. In general the risk of permanent nipple sensation loss is low after this type of procedure however many women do have decreased sensation for several months after the procedure. I would recommend following up with a board-certified plastic surgeon for an in person examination and consultation to best address your concerns.

Nipple sensation

Hello and thanks for the question. Yes, although the risk is low, there is a slight chance that you can have altered nipple sensitivity after breast lift surgery. It can occur when the implant is much too large for the dissected pocket. Some quote the risk as between 3-5 % but if it happens to you it doesn't matter what the stats are. Get more information and then make the informed decision. 

Breast Lift

Without photos, it is difficult to assess your need for a breast lift.  Loss of sensation is very rare with a breast lift.  The degree of scarring can depend on how extensive a breast lift is needed.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

What a breast lift caused me to lose nipple sensitivity?

Loss of nipple sensitivity is a small risk however probably unlikely.  Based on your description you may not even need an actual breast lift.  It's very hard to tell without photographs or in examination. 
As for scars, there will always be one after any procedure.  But as plastic surgeons we are scheduled in hiding them and minimizing their appearance.  So, while you have a scar, our goal is that no one sees it.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your description, you may benefit from a breast lift.  Breast asymmetry is very common and can be corrected with this surgery also.  It is unusual to lose nipple sensation in a breast lift.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD