I'm going to the beach with my family 2 weeks post surgery. Will this be a disaster?

I have a three year old and a 21 month old. Will I be able to go to the beach and partake in fun activities or will I want to stay at the house and rest? Other family members will be there to help, but I don't want to not be able to do anything or push my kids in a stroller.

Beach vacation two weeks after plastic surgery

Thank you for your question.   The amount of time of rest depends on which type of surgery you have. After major surgeries including breast augmentation and abdominoplasty and facelift and rhinoplasty etc. I recommend no strenuous activity for a minimum of six weeks.  You can walk along the beach.   Walking is encouraged to prevent deep venous thrombosis.   You should not engage in fun activities which require strenuous exercise.    It is imperative to keep your heart rate less than 100 bpm. My suggestion to you is to enjoy the beautiful atmosphere of the beach and the ocean and relax and take it easy.   Best wishes in your recovery!

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sun exposure and activity post surgery

Thanks for your question.
It depends on what procedure you had done and location.  I generally do not allow my patients to do any strenuous activity for 4 weeks.  Sun exosure is another issue as the skin is numb in areas and more sensative to sun exposure which can allow for burns.  Relax, wear #40 sunblock and cover the surgical sites with clothing.
Try to enjoy your trip.
Consult with your surgeon for their directions.
Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Breast augmentation and vacation

At two weeks after surgery I do not allow my patients to do too much and that includes activities at the beach or on vacation.. You should ask your surgeon what her recommends.

Beach after breast augmentation

You should avoid sun exposure in this period of healing.  Everyone has his or her own definition of "fun activities" so this would require clarification.  Certainly no beach volleyball, diving, serious swimming, surfing, etc. during this summer vacation.

Thank you for your question. Typically you do not want to partake in any real physical activity for 6 weeks. 
Hope this helps, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD