How to approach less than cooperative doctor about poor work and request to correct? (Photo)

Last Wednesday I got Voluma in my cheek area. It came out okay, with the exception one cheek appears under filled. I'd like it fixed. How should I approach the doctor, what should I request, and what should I expect? This doctor was not easy to get along with and I did not plan on returning. I have a 1/2 syringe of JD ultra left at his office; worried he may push to use in my cheek. I have not yet informed him of the issue.

Unhappy results

No surgeon likes a patient to be unhappy with her results. Having said that, I would suggest that you wait at least a month following your injections for all of the swelling to subside. There's a good chance that your asymmetry issues may resolve on their own. If not, just be up front with your surgeon about your concerns and why you are unhappy. If you don't like what he says, get a second opinion.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Ask Your Doctor to help you

Sorry for your experience. Did you go yo this Doctor on the recommendation of a friend?  I would call the office and first speak to a staff  person about making appt to come in and get your situation addressed.Bring someone with you if necessary. I would suggest SOONER is better .There is a goid chance that he will look at your face and agree with you that some additional product may be all you need to be satisfied.

Dr Johnson

Beverly Johnson, MD
Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Needs a recheck

Best to recheck with your doctor, or call and ask the questions first to the office.
Policies on touch-ups vary.
It is best to have a positive relationship, communication and trust with your doctor.
Your face and your health depend on it.
Dr. Denkler

Voluma Results and Happiness

I suggest you speak to your physician.  If he/she doesn't have a good personality or you do not feel you can speak to them about your results then you should see another physician that will develop a relationship with you.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Voluma and Uneven results

I would wait two weeks to see the full effect of the Voluma injections.  If after two weeks you are not happy you should return to your treating physician.  You may need more filler placed in the area and if that is the case and you are unhappy you should consult someone new.  Best, Dr. Green

Thank you for your question and photograph and I am sorry that your current results have not been what you anticipated.  At less than a week from treatment I would first allow your results to mature for another week to week and a half for the filler to soften and any residual swelling to resolve.  If you continue to see the asymmetry at that time a touch up can be done and open communication may provide a better correction. Always best to be honest and straightforward with your comments and the doctor should be willing to do the same.  

Communicate Your Concerns

Communication between doctor and patient is key. It usually takes about 2 weeks for swelling to go down and the filler to settle in. You should follow up with your doctor at that point and voice your concerns if things have not changed. Most, if not all, doctors would want to correct any inconsistencies and ensure the satisfaction of their patients. This may mean that you would need more filler and would be responsible for the cost of additional filler. I would not use regular Juvederm Ultra in the cheeks as it is not a bulky enough filler to give optimal results. If you and your doctor cannot see eye to eye then you may want to find another physician who you feel more comfortable with. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Wait a few more days

Typically, your doctor will want you to wait a full two weeks before judging your Voluma.  It takes a couple weeks to "settle" since sometimes there is swelling or bruising.   About 3-4 days after Voluma is when it is at its peak for hardness due to temporary water attraction, which makes things look uneven.

Most injectors should be happy to do a recheck after the appointment when desired by the patient, to ensure patient satisfaction with the procedure.  I would suggest you wait about 9-10 more days and if your concerns are still present, contact the doctor's office for a followup visit.

Juvederm Ultra does not belong in a cheek, but is good for lips, nasolabial folds and undereye areas.

Worst case scenario if you still find the doctor difficult to deal with would be to find a different doctor.   I hope that helps.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon