What would an African-American need done to get a more defined longer nose? (photos)

I'm black and I want to know what would I need done for a more defined and long nose. My nose is really wide but not too flat. And I really want a "white" nose because mine is huge and is taking over my whole face. So what would I need done?

Hello and thank you for sharing your concerns. It is possible to receive rhinoplasty for a smaller and more refined nose. However, it depends on the thickness of your skin and the anatomy of your nose that you already have. Results vary and you should seek consultation from a board-certified surgeon in your area who specializes in rhinoplasty or have had extensive experience. I wish you the best of luck!

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Getting a more Defined Nose

Refining the nose is certainly possible based upon your photos. Typically reducing the width of the tip and the flaring of the nostrils can go a long way in creating a more balanced nasal appearance which fits better with other facial features. Of course, each patient is unique but those who have been educated during a consultation, and who have reasonable expectations will typically be very happy with the improvements a Rhinoplasty can provide.  Best of Luck    Dr Harrell

Nose surgery for African Americans

Hi, thanks for your question.

African American noses come in all shapes and sizes and an individual’s personal reasons for getting rhinoplasty vary as much.

For African Americans the areas most commonly target for change by patients are the: 1) Wide Nasal Ala – more commonly referred as the nostrils where the skin is excised to reduce the flare of nostrils and make them appear smaller. A more comprehensive approach is also done that strategically reshapes the entire nostril and not simple rely on skin excisions to address wide nostrils; 2) Wide Nasal Tip – thinning and reshaping of the cartilage in the lower third of the nose is done to address a wide and bulbous nasal tip lobule. Sometimes cartilage is borrowed (cartilage grafts) to help add structure and support to the tip of nose, giving it more definition; and 3) Nasal Dorsum – Wide Low Hump. African American patients seeking rhinoplasty often complain about the “bridge” of the nose being too wide, low or both. Surgeons attempt to narrow the nose by performing osteotomies to “break” the nose and narrow the bridge.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wide to Narrow Nose

Yes, there are definitely some possibilities. With the only picture provided, you could consider using a graft along the bridge this will help to narrow and create a longer look to the nose. The tip can be supported and refined creating a more refined tip. The base can be narrowed by removing some of the tissue around the nostril. The degree of narrowing possible is limited by the size of the nostrils.

Brian Maloney, MD, FACS
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

African-American rhinoplasty

To change the African nose and make it closer to a Caucasian nose, you need a graft on the nasal dorsum, osteotomies to bring in the side bones, alar plasty to narrow the wide nostrils and tip plasty to better define the nasal tip.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon