Am I a candidate for implants without a lift? (Photo)

I was a D to DD in high school. After nursing 2 kids, I experienced a lot of volume loss in my breasts and well as drooping. My breasts never sat close together and they always held more weight in the bottom half, I dont expect that to be different after surgery. My goal is just to get my breasts back to a large D cup, full,a bit lifted, but still looking like natural breasts. My biggest issue with a breast lift is the scarring. I do NOT scar well. Could implants alone achieve my goals? TIA

Breast Implants

Hi Moon,
I don't blame you. No one likes scars on their breasts. Yes you can use different sized implants to achieve roughly the same volume on each side. Please put an index card in your breast fold. If your nipple is at the edge of the card or below, then you would be a candidate for a lift, either a vertical or anchor or areolar incision. If your nipple is above the edge, you could be a candidate for an internal lift called the dual plane. The video below explains the dual plane internal lift. I believe the dual plane and implants alone will do it for you, and that you will not need a lift. Be sure to seek a consultation with a BC PS to be sure. All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, an implant has one purpose and that is to increase a woman's breast size. Although in an ideal situation, it would be useful to improve the upper pole fullness of a woman's breast, long-term outcomes usually result in an implant that drops into a breast. If the breast is droopy, then a patient usually ends up with a larger breast that is also droopy in the end. So although the initial results might be appealing, long-term results can sometimes be disappointing especially in a patient who was hopeful that an implant would allow her to have a more youthful appearance.

A breast lift is the only solution to repositioning the breast on the chest wall. This of course, unfortunately, requires a breast lift. The question that you must ask is if your breast volume is adequate and you have drooping then a lift alone maybe your solution. I would be cautious about using an implant to compensate for your droopy breasts position as this will necessarily result in a larger breast as well.

One final solution would be the use of fat grafts. This is the concept of transferring fat from one part of your body to the breast. Like an implant, fat will provide additional volume. Unlike an implant, which requires a specific pockets to be created, fat is placed as millions of parcels or seeds within the healthy tissue and, therefore, can be placed throughout the breast wherever the surgeon desires. In a patient who has breast drooping, this would eliminate the need for scars as the fat grafts are placed through minute puncture holes that completely heal. In any case, I would recommend a consultation with the board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in these matters. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift or breast augmentation candidate

Although the scars associated with a breast lift procedure may not be desirable, the alternative of only using an implant and overfilling the breast to attempt a lift is a poor substitute, in my opinion. The hanging lower glandular tissue will always be visible spoiling the overall shape of the breast. To get the best result from a breast implant procedure it is essential to ensure that the breast gland is centered over the implant, which in some cases requires a breast lift. Although many physicians have attempted to avoid the lift by using a larger implant, this has rarely resulted in a desirable final result. I would suggest visiting with a board certified surgeon for a consultation to get a final answer to your questions.

Implants without a lift.

Thank you for the question and photos. It appears you have grade 1-2 ptosis or sagging of the breasts. You would ideally need a lift and implants to give you the best result. However I understand your concern with scarring and I've had patients share the same concerns. I tell them to start with the implants first and if they aren't happy they can always return for a lift later. Your skin has already been stretched by the pregnancies and breast feeding so it may not hold the additional weight of the implant making you prone to sagging even sooner. 
I recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine your skin and give you the best options for the goal you want. 

Best of luck..
Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Breast implant question

You need a lift in addition to an augmentation. If you had an augmentation alone the implant would sit higher on your chest andyour breast would fall over the top of the implant. This would not be a very pleasing look. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and show you why this is the case. There are many ways to minimize scarring that your surgeon can utilize.

Thank you for your question and photographs. Unfortunately I think you will not obtain a satisfactory result with only implant placement. You have a moderate amount of breast sagging and excess skin to your breasts that will not correct itself with implants alone. A breast lift will be able to correct both of these problems while also placing your nipple and areola into an elevated more youthful position and improving your shape and contour. Hope that this helps.

Breast implants with a lift or not

Based on your photos , implants alone will be able to  give your the volume ,cup size change , you desire. Later on, if the breasts are high enough in your opinion you could always add a lift later.

Michael H. Wojtanowski, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Lifting without breast lift

In all of the pictures the have shown, the nipple is above the fold under the breast.  Although it is possible to fill your breasts in size back up to D cup with implants alone and without a breast lift, you will not get as much lifting of the nipple itself as the photographed you of posted.  Having said that, as long as you do not expect a very high perky breast afterwards, very good results can be obtained without a breast lift were patients like you.

Implant and lift

My best advice is to only consider proceeding with the augmentation if you are willing to have a lift at the same time. I fear that if you simply went with the implants, either one of two things would happen. Either the implant would fall too low and have a sagging look to the breast, or the implant would remain high and the rest of the breast would spill unnaturally, separately over the implant.
I think a poorly shaped breast is a much worse risk than poor scarring. After all, scars will fade with time and treatments can be done to improve them. As well, if done carefully and meticulously, the scarring should be quite acceptable.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Implant and/or a lift

Implants alone add volume. They do not lift the breasts to any extent.  It looks like you probably could benefit from a lift. If you want to only do the implant surgery and see how they do, then you can always lift them afterwards.