4 days post op labiaplasty (wedge). Swollen sutures...is this normal?

I had the wedge technique done 4 days ago and the swelling has gone down some but the sutures are very swollen. It also seems like the swollen sutures are adhering to the outer labia (majora). I'm worried it's going to fuse together and heal abnormally. I had my post op appointment today and my doctor said I'm a little swollen but other than that it looks good and he'll see me in 2 weeks but I'm still worried.

LABIAPLASTY: POSTOP SWELLING

Thank you for your question.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to be evaluated for a secondary procedure, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Need reassurance during 1st week labiaplasty recovery

Congratulations on your labiaplasty, sounds like you will have nice results. Without a photo I can't really comment other than, unless things have changed from the time of your appointment, you should do just fine. You did the right thing by seeing him during your first week post-op and getting confirmation that you're doing well.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

If you saw your doc today, snap a photo and compare it tomorrow

Swelling is common in the first week of healing after labiaplasty. If you were just seen, then all you need to do is determine if the swelling is improving or worsening. Snap a photo today so you can compare tomorrow.

Swollen 4 days after wedge labiaplasty

It is normal, and in fact unavoidable, to become swollen after a wedge labiaplasty. Swelling can last 3 to 6 months. If you chose a good labiaplasty surgeon, he or she will have seen patients go through the healing stages before, so the words "Looks good" that likely comes from the perspective of experience. It is natural to be worried, since this is your only experience going through a labiaplasty. 

If you continue to be worried or scared, contact your surgeon to discuss the specific concerns. 

How labiaplasty looks during the first post-op week

Impossible to say without good, in-focus photos, but.... Yes, common to have lots of swelling & discoloration and "bumpiness" in-between the sutures. Hopefully, your surgeon used interrupted small rapidly-dissolving sutures (personally, I like loosly-placed 5-0 Vicryl Rapide..) Will take a full 4-8 weeks before most all of the swelling subsides. Yes, the repaired area can "stick" to the outer lips, but this will not be "permanent." The attached blog may help...

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

It is normal to have swelling post operatively from labiaplasty especially in the first week. Occasionally depending on the method of suturing the suture line may also appear to be swollen, This will typically resolve over the next few weeks as you continue to heal. Also, there would be no chance that the inner labia would adhere and heal to the outer labia as the tissue does not heal this way. I would recommend continued close follow up with your surgeon to address any concerns you may have and to follow any post op instructions provided to you.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your worry after surgery.  Without a full series of photographs it is difficult to offer definite recommendations but if your surgeon saw you today, and he said all looks well, it is best that you trust their opinion as well as take their direction on any continued healing.  Because of the thin nature of the tissues of the labia they do experience a fair amount of swelling after surgery that can cause some tightening of the suture material.  This will not lead to fusion of the tissues towards your labia majora as the skin surfaces will not allow it.  Hope this helps.

Probably

This is probably not a problem, but I would check with your doctor and follow his or her advice on this.

Labiaplasty

Its completely normal to be swollen 4 days after surgery.  I would suggest ice and arnica montana pellets to decrease the swelling along with plenty of rest.  Be sure to follow your surgeons post operative instructions.