I'm 366 lbs. Would I be clear for coolsculpting?

Best CoolSculpting Candidates

The best candidates for CoolSculpting are typically men and women who are generally happy with their overall weight but find that they have stubborn pockets of unwanted fat that do not respond to diet or exercise. It's important to remember that CoolSculpting is not a weight loss procedure but rather a non-invasive option for body contouring. It's important to be physically healthy, psychologically stable and realistic in your expectations. Based on the information you have provided, CoolSculpting would not be the right treatment for you. The best way to know for sure is to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can advise you of your best options.

CoolSculpting Candidate

It is important to have a face-to-face consultation with the provider in order to determine if you would be a candidate for CoolSculpting and how many treatments you may need. It is important to keep in mind that CoolSculpting is not a weight loss method and in no way replaces diet and exercise. CoolSculpting only targets the subcutaneous fat under the skin, not the internal visceral fat.

During the consultation, the health care provider will visually assess the fat in order to determine if the person needs debulking or sculpting. The physician will physically assess the orientation of the fat by pinching and feeling it. There is a 20-25% fat reduction in the treated areas. Patients are usually brought back at the 30 days mark to assess their results. At the point, the patient and physician can communicate and determine if additional treatment might be needed for optimum result.

CoolSculpting Not Intended for Weight Loss

While CoolSculpting is ideal for reducing smaller areas of stubborn fat, it is important to note that it is not intended to be a weight loss procedure. For significant amounts of fat or excess skin to be reduced, a surgical procedure such as liposuction may be required. To get the results you desire, CoolSculpting may not be the best procedure, however it is important to consult with your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to determine the best treatment for you.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

As indicated below, Coolsculpting is ideal for improving bulges from problem areas rather than total body fat reduction.  That being said, it may be an option for you if the fat is limited to your belly and flanks and there are multiple applicators now but you don't sound like a good candidate from the little information you've provided.  Seek out a practice that performs various types of fat reduction from Coolsculpting to liposuction etc so you can review your options.  Our plastic surgeon often performs liposuction instead if we feel that the patient won't benefit significantly from Coolsculpting.  Other patients we partner up with trainers and nutritionists to lose the bulk of the weight and then treat the remaining bulges with Coolsculpting.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Candidates

Coolsculpting is an excellent procedure for nonsurgical fat reduction for patients within 30 pounds of their target weight. It is unlikely the best option for you. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can review your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and weight

Coolsculpting is a fabulous procedure for reducing a bulge in a given area.  Coolsculpting will reduce the bulge in a given area of the abdomen, flanks, love handles, thighs by 20 percent.  The procedure is not a weight loss device.  If you continue to diet and exercise you will see the best results for the procedure.  For the best coolsculpting results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with coolsculpting.

Coolsculpting

coolsculpting is a procedure that selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. With every treatment, there is about a 20% reduction in the area treated. Your weight is not a contraindication to the procedure, per se, but most likely, you would require many treatments.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolscupting and Weight loss.

Cool sculpting is not a weight loss procedure. I suggest diet, exercise or consider seeing a medical nutritionist and/or bariatric surgeon before any surgical intervention. Best, Dr. Emer.

Generally, no, you would not

While weight is not the only concern to think about with Coolsculpting, it is an important one as Coolsculpting has a limited range of helpfulness.  In your case, I am thinking this might not be the best choice.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

366 pounds. Coolsculpting candidate?

Cool sculpting gets the best results on patients who are close to or slightly above theit ideal body weight. Being large is not an absolute contraindication, however the results on overweight patients is not ideal. I do not know your height, so I cannot exactly calculate your ideal body weight. However my guess is that losing weight prior to performing CoolSculpting would be advantageous.. Occasionally people will do a small isolated spot such as the bra roll to give them some confidence and jump start the weight loss. Thank you

Jeffrey Rapaport, MD
Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon